Rebuilding my 4.0 SOHC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilding my 4.0 SOHC

I just noticed this flex plate has a half-dozen holes on one side. My other flex plates don't have this. This is the plate that came with the new block, so I'm wondering if the holes are balanced for the plate only or if it's particular to this engine. Does it need to go on a certain way?

View attachment 452062
I would just use the factory flex plate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would just use the factory flex plate
My other flex plates look like seawater specials. This engine came out of an '04 explorer, and the flex plates match except for these six holes.

20240430_143707.jpg

My other flex plates look like seawater specials. This engine came out of an '04 explorer, and the flex plates match except for these six holes.

View attachment 452063
Hmm not really sure then I don't think it would be different but I'm not sure

Hmm not really sure then I don't think it would be different but I'm not sure
The plates match in size, TC holes, and tooth count. Near as I can tell it is the same flex plate just with extra holes.

The plates match in size, TC holes, and tooth count. Near as I can tell it is the same flex plate just with extra holes.
I don't think it would make a difference other than maybe balance

Lol I honestly don't think it's will make any difference at all
I'm hoping it is just for balancing the plate itself. There were no key ways or guide marks indicating it should only go on a certain way.

I'm hoping it is just for balancing the plate itself. There were no key ways or guide marks indicating it should only go on a certain way.
Yeah it shouldn't matter I've rebuilt a couple SOHC engines and never had an issue with just installing the flex plate

Back