Reccomended Rim Size and Backspacing for these tires... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reccomended Rim Size and Backspacing for these tires...

Hey guys,

Im hopefully going to be doing the Spacer/Shackle lift on my 91 4x4 here in a few weeks and Im looking at tire options right now.

I am leaning towards a 32x11.50 tire, either BFG AT, BFG MT, or ProComp MTs.

From what I have read if I go with a 11.50 tire I really should upgrade my rims to 15x8 correct? What backspacing should I be looking for, would somewhere around 3.75, 3.5 or 3.25 work?

Also anyone with 1st Gen X's succesfully fit 32x11.50s with just the cheap-o Lift? Im not opposed to fender wall trimming and maybe some minor metal trimming.

Another question, are 33x11.50s or 33x12.50s possible with a 2" BL and the Shackles/Spacers? What size rims would be advised there with what backspacing?

Thanks again for your help guys.

-Matt

15x8 with stock-3.75" of backspacing will be the best for everything you mentioned above I think. Less than 3.75" you will get more and more rubbing on the back of the front fender well and maybe the fender, and it'll be worse for bearings, etc.. I also think that 3.75" will clear up to a 12.5" tire on the inside(swaybar and radius arms) with no problem.

Back