Robb's SAS | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Robb's SAS

Hey Guys!
OK, I was trying to put off starting a thread like this until stuff got closer to done, but I have been asked so many questions in the middle of other threads, I thought I should.

This is the plan:
-SOA
-HP YJ D30 SFA
-35"s

As a lot of you guys know, I had the oppurtunity to have the work done by an expert at one heck of a good price.:D The SOA and SFA are being done by Cory at CRL Customs So, as far as the really technical stuff, I will have no idea since I am not the person actually doing the work.

OK, the first obvious question. "Why a D30?" I know most people instantly think of a D44 when they think of a SAS for an Explorer. The idea of a D30 hit me when I was planning on doing the project myself (which would have never become reality). I liked how the YJ D30 was about the same width, bolt pattern was the same, I thought leafs would be pretty easy (Wrong!), and $$$. So I started looking into the pros and cons of the D30, and after a lot of research, I felt it met my requirements for what I was looking for out of an axle. And to be honest, I think stock D44s (especially LPs) are a bit overated (yep, I said it). They aren't the strongest things on Earth like a lot of people seem to think.

OK, enough yapping for a starter post. Let me throw a few pics of the progress.

Robb

Start with a stock pic:

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,660

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You changed your name, cool:cool:

By getting rid of your ABS, will that do anything to your computer, like maybe throw a code or something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you actually have to bypass the ABS? You can't just use the existing lines?

You can use existing lines. I have been doing it for several years without a problem. Removing the antilock crap from under the hood frees up a lot of room though. I'm considering doing it for that reason.

Originally posted by Rick
You can use existing lines. I have been doing it for several years without a problem. Removing the antilock crap from under the hood frees up a lot of room though. I'm considering doing it for that reason.

hmmmmm
might as well since I want to re-route the lines anyway.

Mine is setup right now to use existing lines, but I would have to get extended ones for full articulation. My plan now is to use a single line from the master cylinder out to a BroncoII rear hose, out to the front near the center of the axle (not too much movement). Then split it from there.

Then I plan to adapt the rear line from the ABS Module to go directly to the master cylinder and remove the Module. Like Rick mentioned, it gives a little more room under the hood.

But what then do you do with the one extra line from the front?

I want to remove my ABS module so that I can have a little more room for the coil-over hoop and dual battery setup. . . but the ABS module doubles as the VSS [vehicle speed sensor] in the 99+ :rolleyes: Guess I'll have to figure out how to take the Atlas II Jeeps VSS and make it work after all.

Originally posted by taxxman2k
But what then do you do with the one extra line from the front?
I will prolly start by removing both the existing hard lines to the front. Then replace with a single hard line to the front middle. NAPA sells generic length brake lines locally.

You guys now have me thinking about this too much. Now I will have to make it this weekend's project.;)

EDIT: Just to clarify that. The brake lines leave the master cylinder as only two lines, one front and one back. The ABS Module is where the single front line gets split into two lines.

Since in some cases the ABS is advantageous to have, has anybody given any thought as to how it could be set up to KEEP the ABS??

I kinda think the ABS isn't all that bad...I wouldn't mind keeping it when I do the SAS on mine...

Any thoughts?

Like hvac_man mentioned earlier, there is prolly a way to fit in a 1st gen Rear ABS setup in there. I would think, not sure.

It would take a lot of work and creativity to keep 4-wheel ABS. It could be done of course, but I don't think it would be worth it. The ABS system on Explorers was never that great of a system anyway. Also, since most SAS Xs are built for trail riding, losing the ABS isn't a big concern.

EDIT: BTW hvac man, what kind of hvac work do you do? I am a balance guy.

Robb, sounds like you still got your work cut out for you on this project, but it is looking good. I am curious to see that thing wheel.

BTW: my dad owns a small family run heating air conditioning company and we do everything, all aspects of forced air. Mostly residential new construction. Your job is just to go out and balance systems that have already been installed?

Well keep the progress reports comming cause its fun to follow and have fun.

I want to keep my ABS.

I'm determined to keep my ABS. As Jefe mentioned, it's also the VSS on my '99. I know that ABS isn't really that important on a trail rig, but I'll still drive mine on the street sometimes. I'd rather not give it up if I don't have to. Also, when I finally am able to do the SAS, the financial side of it shouldn't (cross fingers) be too big of an issue, so getting a little creative won't be too bad. Of course, I'll post it all once it starts. It'll all be documented thoroughly.

I'm hoping to find a way to keep mine also...this is my daily driver and she will be a street queen, but I will feed here some dirt here and there.

Besides driving on some of the streets here is like being off-road! :D

I have no issues losing the ABS on mine even snce it will see street miles too. ABS is just another function for people that can't drive. Sure it has is advantages, but cars went years without ABS and I actually prefer not to have it. I know how to drive and I adjust my driving for the weather.

What's ABS?:D My 97 doesn't have it

Back