SAE/Metric Equivalent Wrench Sizes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SAE/Metric Equivalent Wrench Sizes

I am compiling a list of equivalent wrench sizes between standard and metric. Since most modern American cars (including my beloved Explorer) use both it is sometimes handy to cross standards.

My list so far:
5/16 = 8mm
3/8 = 10mm (sloppy fit)
7/16 = 11mm
9/16 = 14mm
11/16 = 17mm
3/4 = 19mm
7/8 = 22mm
15/16 = 24mm
1 = 25mm
1 1/16 = 27mm
1 3/16 = 30mm
1 1/4 = 32mm
1 5/16 = 33mm
1 3/8 = 35mm
1 1/2 = 38mm

If I got any of this wrong or did not include any please let me know and I'll update the list.

~Steve

Another way to do it is to get a set met wrenches.. They combine the wrenches like you are doing but also grab the side of the bolts instead of the edges..

so far they work well BUT they are a somewhat sloppy fit.. if you don't hold the flat on the bolt it can slip off.

~Mark

You can also go to Google and find the closest equivalent..

For example, you want to know what a 14 mm is in inches, type in "14mm in inches" and hit Enter.
Or visa versa, type in "5/8 inches in mm".

Also, use the 6 point sockets rather than the 12, because it will fit better that way if it isn't the right size.

There is a new design called a spline. It fits many types of things like square nuts, rounded nuts, and bolts. S-K Tools, and Harbor Freight sell sockets, and box wrenches in the spline design.
spline1.jpg

Back