TCC Solenoid replacement

RobertFord

Reaction score
City, State
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi everyone!

I've been noticing high RPMs on my '91 Explorer with A4LD. I'm doing about 3500rpms at 75mph. (gearing 3.55).

The computer throws a OBD-I code 89 (Converter clutch override solenoid), which confirms my findings. No immediate revs increase on brake tap, no revs decrease when coasting, but 3-4 shift is fine as evident from the downshift when shifting from OD to D.

Now, I am tempted on doing it myself, which should be doable, but the transmission is something I'd rather not mess with, it looks to complicated for me :D I've asked a local shop to do the repair of the solenoid, but they say that the lockup plates (?) will probably have worn out and the converter itself will need replacing too.

Does that seem plausible? The man asks me to drop 800 Euros (some $1100 USD or so) for the full repair, does that seem fair? It's a lot of dough:eek:

That seems like a lot of money to me. I think I would check the solenoid first. Read some of the stickies about valve bodies and see if it's something you would feel comfortable trying.

Thanks Anduiril. The valve body scares the sh*t out of me for some reason. I've found another place that'll just replace the solenoid at a more reasonable price, so I'm going to outsource this task :)

Replacing a solenoid is easy, you don,t have to remove the valve body, just drop the pan and replace the solenoid. One bolt and a wire plug.

Back