tire size decisions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tire size decisions

I have been doing a lot of research lately on new tire sizes for my 1998 explorer sport 4wd. (If i have to trim i will but i would not like it to be exstensive.) I am going to be doing the 4 door leaf pack, warrior shackles, and a TT up front. overall thats about 2 inches of lift.

I was looking into 285/75/16 but thats around a 33 inch tire. From reading thats going to rub alot. any opionions on this size and the fitment issue?

275/70/16 or 265/75/16 are the other sizes i am thinking about. I like the 275 because they are a little wider. anybody have experience with these sizes and fitment? or know if either size is better than the other?

Either going with the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO or the Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO. right now im leaning towards the REVOs.

Any answers, input, or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance explorer guys (and gals).

Don't know about the size issue, but I did just put some revos on 2 weeks ago and they are great. Smooth ride on the road but I have not had the chance to off road yet. There was a great deal on them at tirerack.com 4 for less than $400. I was forced to make the same decision as you, Revos or Bf T/As. I chose the Revos because I had read that they clear mud much better than the BF.

It really wont matter with either one of those tire sizes with 2 inches of lift. Its less than a half inch either way.

302Xplorer said:
Don't know about the size issue, but I did just put some revos on 2 weeks ago and they are great. Smooth ride on the road but I have not had the chance to off road yet. There was a great deal on them at tirerack.com 4 for less than $400. I was forced to make the same decision as you, Revos or Bf T/As. I chose the Revos because I had read that they clear mud much better than the BF.
yea im leaning towards the revos cause i heard they are better on street and clear the mud pretty well also. i do more street driving but when i see the opportunity im off road in the blink of an eye.

redrig...yea the width is less than half an inch, should i go with the 265 75 and have that little bit more ground clearance? either way (width or height) i am aware the difference will be minimal. just trying to get some opinions before i drop the money on new tires.

I would go for the ground clearance myself.

Back