1987 Ford Bronco Dana 35 Swap

Cowpoke07

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer XLT
Just wanted to share. Im doing an axle swap for this beautiful b2. Im new to this thread as well as vehicle upgrading so please go easy on me. I bought it off my father in-law in 2019 and was using it as my daily driver up until June 2020.( The transmission blew). I absolutely loved driving it. One thing that will happen, is that this will get an axle swap as well as a create 4.0
IMG_2161.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to share. Im doing an axle swap for this beautiful b2. Im new to this thread as well as vehicle upgrading so please go easy on me. I bought it off my father in-law in 2019 and was using it as my daily driver up until June 2020.( The transmission blew). I absolutely loved driving it. One thing that will happen, is that this will get an axle swap as well as a create 4.0
View attachment 447818
front axel is off a 1997 ford ranger.
Rear is of a 96 limited slip 8.8 explorer.
disc brakes is must for this build.

m new to this thread as well as vehicle upgrading so please go easy on me
Let the hazing begin. That is a sexy B2. Driver's seat looks familiar.

Seats are off a shaggin wagon. Match the Eddie Bauer edition. Rides really nice. Like a semi

Nice bronco!! They are fun to drive! 4.0 is perfect for this rig

Lol lol lol 4.0 in a bronco ii is pretty good! It’s just the crappy auto trans… but those can be built up too anymore. The c5 auto can be reverse manual valve body, the a4ld can be built with 5r internals to be very strong, and then there is the 700r4 conversion and of course the Mazda 5 speeds. I like the 4.0 and 5 speed combo myself in a bii.

V8 is of course awesome but waaaaaaay more work

Gotta row thru the gears. I don't have what it takes to learn how to drive an automatic.

Lol lol lol 4.0 in a bronco ii is pretty good! It’s just the crappy auto trans… but those can be built up too anymore. The c5 auto can be reverse manual valve body, the a4ld can be built with 5r internals to be very strong, and then there is the 700r4 conversion and of course the Mazda 5 speeds. I like the 4.0 and 5 speed combo myself in a bii.

V8 is of course awesome but waaaaaaay more work
I’ll consider that tranny recommendation! I’d totally go with a v8 swap, but I’ve been driving and working on 4.0s for most of my adult life. I’m only 27. Plus I already have the 4.0 sitting in my garage. Had a minor scare with my 2011 ranger, and thought I would’ve had to use my new 4.0 to replace the one in the ranger. If that was the case. That b2 would’ve been getting a V8.

Love the 4.0 and 5 speed in mine! Thinking of the axle swap, as I still have the Explorer that gave up it's engine.

IMG_4252.jpeg

Ran into a problem, I can’t get the lower radius arm bolt in. This picture doesn’t do it Justice, I looks like it’s going to line up and go in when I raise the components up. but I noticed the radius arm and the diff come into contact Whenever I i try to mash that bolt in. Top bolt is aligned and goes in great. But the bottom is kicking my ass

View attachment 448555
Ran into a problem, I can’t get the lower radius arm bolt in. This picture doesn’t do it Justice, I looks like it’s going to line up and go in when I raise the components up. but I noticed the radius arm and the diff come into contact Whenever I i try to mash that bolt in. Top bolt is aligned and goes in great. But the bottom is kicking my ass
this is a bottom looking up picture

IMG_4251.jpeg

I’m so close to finishing the front suspension install, I’ve also pressed upper and lower ball joints on both sides.

Breaker bar could help the alignment, even a ratchet strap could help.
I’ll consider that tranny recommendation! I’d totally go with a v8 swap, but I’ve been driving and working on 4.0s for most of my adult life. I’m only 27. Plus I already have the 4.0 sitting in my garage. Had a minor scare with my 2011 ranger, and thought I would’ve had to use my new 4.0 to replace the one in the ranger. If that was the case. That b2 would’ve been getting a V8.
There's no substitute for cubic inches.

Fast-and-furious-racing GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Loosen up the radius arm at the crossmember

Also you can clearance the radius arm so it does not bind on the diff

Those top and bottom bolts must go in straight! Put anti seize on the threads

Thank you for responding to my distress signal! I got it in with out any severe modification, witch solidifies the fact that these vehicles are supposed to have a beefy suspension. All I needed was some elbow grease. Having the radius arms extremely loose is crucial! I still have a ways to go.

image.jpg

Any plans for larger brakes?

Need some reputable dual piston disc brakes links! Need to get bearings rebuild kits for both sides on.

Some people run the 12 inch sport trac rotor with a bracket to push the caliper out to clear the larger rotor. It's a steel plate with a few holes in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

show me this sport trac rotor mod

I assume this is after you have the 95-97 ranger dual piston caliper knuckles?

Back