• Register Today It's free!

Looking to detune

Blizzard

Reaction score
City, State
Schumacher (Timmins)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer Police
I recently purchased a 2017,2018 x 2 and a 2019 Ford Explorer Police Interceptors . I will be using them as taxis in my business. The issue I am
having is these 3.7 are way to fast for my drivers. I called my local Ford dealer and he said it isn't possible to detune these monsters. Does anybody know how I can govern these suvs to 65 mph (105 kmp canadian speed)? They are the perfect vehicle for what I need them for. It's just a little bit to fast . Putting a brick under the gas pedal is probably another option if I don't find anything. LOL Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Being that they were police vehicles, I'm guessing they don't have the My Key feature. Is that right?
I don't know if it can be detailed using FORScan.
Otherwise, the drivers should just use common sense like most drivers. A vehicle will only go as fast as the driver wants it to.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Being that they were police vehicles, I'm guessing they don't have the My Key feature. Is that right?
I don't know if it can be detailed using FORScan.
Otherwise, the drivers should just use common sense like most drivers. A vehicle will only go as fast as the driver wants it to.

Peter
No it does not have the My Key feature. I was hoping that maybe there would be some kind of way of doing this.

If the Explorer is "too fast" then you have a training issue with the driver. Its 300 hp in a 5k vehicle. The driver's aren't exactly going to be hotrodding around town doing 4wd burnouts. LOL. It sounds like you need to coach your drivers on speeding and adherence to state and local traffic laws. Have a comprehensive progressive safe driving policy that starts with the hiring process and ultimately encourages safe driving habits. You can monitor their driving habits with GPS tracking, dash cameras, etc. As for "detuning" the vehicle I suppose you could use HP Tuners and set the max speed to whatever you like. But realize if you set the max speed to 65 mph your drivers will hate you and be very unhappy. Hire the right drivers. Train them. Trust them until they give you a reason not to.

Back