• Register Today It's free!

Clock spring for 96 Explorer

sd_iconoclast

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I have a 96 explorer and it appears that my clock spring is bad. My cruise control buttons dont work or light up and my airbag light is on.
I have been looking for a replacement but I cant find one.
Ebay is full of clock springs for 98-up explorers, and it sure looks the same. Does anyone know if a 98 up clock spring would work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if it is possible to open it, clean old hardened grease off, clean off any oxidation, put a little more spring in the contacts if needed, and slap some dielectric grease on it?

Edit: Another common issue is a ribbon cable with a break at the end, so needs the end stripped off and resoldered.

Otherwise I don't know but the part #s seem different, I searched a moment and saw a base part # of 14A664, with the following listings:

1995 F5TZ14A664A, F67Z-14A664-EA,
1995 to before 3/97 F5TZ-14A664-A, F77Z-14A664-HA, F67Z-14A664-EA
1995-1997 F5TZ-14A664-A, F77Z-14A664-HA, F67Z14A664EA
1998-2003 F87Z14A664AA, BF87Z14A664AB, F87Z-14A664-CB, F87Z-14A664-HA, F87Z-14A664-CA

I'm not certain but it might also be a different part # if you have the radio controls on the steering wheel. If not for that, I'd look for a
F67Z-14A664-EA. I did find this one which looks like new old stock since it has the box (so wasn't a used vehicle pull... unless someone swapped in the replacement and this is their old/faulty one?). Kind of high price tho':

I'm not certain but it might also be a different part # if you have the radio controls on the steering wheel.
Anything in/on the steering wheel is a consideration. Vehicles with cruise control take a different clockspring than those without cruise, so those with radio controls on the steering wheel are most likely different as well.

I went ahead and ordered the 99 and up clock spring (I misspoke earlier when I said 98 and up). It is part # F87Z14A664CC. So I will try it and let everyone know.
I took apart mine and found that the ribbon is broken near the end . I suppose I could re-solder it if the new part does not work out.
The part number of my original clock spring is F67A-14A664-EB

I went ahead and ordered the 99 and up clock spring (I misspoke earlier when I said 98 and up). It is part # F87Z14A664CC. So I will try it and let everyone know.
I took apart mine and found that the ribbon is broken near the end . I suppose I could re-solder it if the new part does not work out.
The part number of my original clock spring is F67A-14A664-EB
Yeah, let us know, if it works on your 96 it will work on my 95 should I need one in the future.

I just received my new clock spring (Part # F87B-14A664-CC). I t appears to be identical to my original part (Part # F67A-14A664-EB) in every way except that the two, two pin connectors are black on the original but brown on the new part. I have checked every pin connection with my multimeter and the connections appear identical. Next I will try it in the car.

I went to install my new clock spring on my 96 explorer and now I can see a difference between the original part and the new one.
The new part has a retaining clip that holds the clock spring centered until after the clock spring is installed onto the steering column. The original does not have this. More importantly, I cannot install the new part onto my steering column with my steering wheel centered. I assume that this is how it should be done from looking at YouTube videos for a 1998 F150 which looks very similar. I dont actually have directions that are specific to my '96 explorer. I have to turn my explorer's wheel 90 degrees to the left in order to install the new clock spring. I am trying to decide if that could cause a problem. In other words, would the 90 degree offset cause the clock spring to reach the end of its ribbon travel before the steering wheels reaches its full travel to the left or right.

I have decided that there is probably enough ribbon in the clock spring to accommodate the 90 degree offset I mentioned above. I decided this because:
1] My original clock spring has directions printed on it. They say that I can "Re-center" the clock spring by rotating it fully counter clockwise until the it stops, then rotate it 3 full turns clockwise. This suggests that there is enough ribbon to accommodate six turns lock to lock.
2] I tried turning my steering wheel from lock to lock and found it to be about three turns total

I have found another difference. It looks like the two pin connector (on the dash side) is not the same. It looks like I will have to cut the (black) connector off my old clock spring and solder it in place of the (brown) connector on the new part.

If you do a how to article showing how to replace the clockspring I will set you up with an Elite Explorer membership.

If you do a how to article showing how to replace the clockspring I will set you up with an Elite Explorer membership.
I would like to take you up on that. But I am not sure how to make an "article". Are there directions somewhere? Also, I have had problems posting pictures in the past. Are there guidelines for that?

I have found another difference. The airbag (two pin) connector is slightly different on the new clock spring. It has a small "fin" on the side which makes it not fit into my airbag. All I had to do what trim it off with a razor blade knife and then I was able to plug it into the airbag.

So now I have the new clock spring completely installed and I have verified that the horn and lighting for the cruise control buttons work. I will go for a drive in a bit and verify that the cruise control and works and the airbag light no longer comes on

I have now been driving my explorer for about two weeks with the new clock spring and everything seems to work fine.
So, to sum up, you can replace the stock clockspring in a 1996 explorer (part number F67A-14A664-EB) with a clock spring from a 99 and up explorer (part # F87Z14A664CC) but you will have to do the following to make it work:
  1. Turn the wheel 90 degrees left of center before installing the clock spring
  2. Cut the (black, two pin) connector off my old clock spring and solder it in place of the (brown) connector on the new part. This is one of the connectors on the dash side. NOT the connector to the airbag
  3. Trim the "fin" off the side of the new airbag connector so it will fit into the connector on the airbag.

Excellent job!

All you have to do is combine all relevant info into one thread and maybe add some pictures of the parts and mods you made = elite membership

I have a 96 explorer and it appears that my clock spring is bad. My cruise control buttons dont work or light up and my airbag light is on.
I have been looking for a replacement but I cant find one.
Ebay is full of clock springs for 98-up explorers, and it sure looks the same. Does anyone know if a 98 up clock spring would work?
This part will work...

You may need to exchange one or two of the connectors (maybe not) if they do not match. Easily done by using a pick to push out the red tabs and remove the wiring pins. Do this for the connectors you need to exchange. Then you can switch the connectors carefully putting the red tabs back in place to secure the wiring to your old connectors. And your new clock spring (new old stock) is good to go ready for installation.

Back