1994 Ranger. Headlight problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ranger. Headlight problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

94 ranger

i checked all the fuses. i would like to find out if there is a relay and where it is located soon. i just ordered both the high beam switch and head light switch tho. but any help would be appreciated.

whitch switch? the headlight switch or the high beam switch?

This schematic diagram of the 1994 Ranger's headlight circuit is from my Ford software:
1994_Ranger_headlight_schematic_diagram_.jpg

It seems like the headlight switch more often failed in the first generation Explorers. Thats where I would start. Usually there are obvious signs/burns when the switch is removed.

Headlight problem

i just put one in the other day. i am going to replace the multifunction switch tomorrow
thanks

I get no reply to.location of the relay switch in the 1994 ranger

I get no reply to.location of the relay switch in the 1994 ranger
Not sure if this is what you mean, but here the engine compartment fuse panel for a 94 Ranger
headlight fuse in bottom right corner of picture.
welcome to the forum!

IMG_0064.jpeg

The relays are built into the multifunction switch

The wiring harness and connectors going into the switch are known to melt and cause issues with connections
These should be inspected closely

If you have a tilt steering column the. You really need to pay close attention to all the wiring in there going to headlights

The wiring diagram posted above shows the entire headlight system in a 94

I’ve been driving an 88 for 25+ years and I have redone the headlight system a few times
All of the wiring between lights and switches has been replaced, the connectors at the multifunction switch have been replaced twice
I used to run some h4 glass headlights with powerful bulbs I think this is what melted things but I have seen it on quite a few of these trucks with age. Now I have led headlights and way less issues with heat

Back