• Register Today It's free!

AC line replacement

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
Well, when it rains it pours, I guess. My Mounty (1998 5.0) has an AC line that’s twisted up. Only thing I can think it that it was replaced by a garbage mechanic in the past. The line pictured needs replaced. Is this going to be something I can do myself? I have access to gauges and a vacuum pump.

image.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is where it’s kinked:

image.jpg

After messing with it it blew a bunch of Freon out of where it attaches to the compressor here :

image.jpg

Now, I’m afraid to drive it, after dropping over $500 in maintenance on this turd. I’m gonna pull the relay so the AC compressor doesn’t run. There’s still pressure in the system, although I didn’t try and drive it yet. How screwed am I?

Should be okay IMO
you need to change that line which means evacuating the system, change the line, vacuum the system, leak check, then re charge

You can also simply unplug the clutch on the compressor, or pull the fuse/relay

I guess I’ll try and hit the pick and pull today or tomorrow. The AC has been lackluster, despite the normal checks, such as the vacuum coolant valve, the blend door seems functional, I was wondering if this was the cause. I wish I had just left it.

That’s the HP line. Not too bad to change.

It’s actually decently cheap on RockAuto, too. Make sure you get some new green seals, regardless

Maybe I’ll just grab it new. I was afraid of driving and losing all the charge. I’m certainly not going to replace the compressor on this.

When it blew out it I thought it was coolant at first.

If you can replace the part then you should be able to recharge the system yourself. I had to replace the reciever drier on my 98 and I used a harbor freight vacuum pump and gauges was able to refill the system. I watched a few youtube videos and went at it.

I wouldn't replace the compressor if it is still good, I'd replace that line and the dryer. My Jeep's AC was getting pretty weak, a friend helped me recharge the system, the freon he got said synthetic on the container, it blows colder now than when the car was new.

I wouldn't replace the compressor if it is still good, I'd replace that line and the dryer. My Jeep's AC was getting pretty weak, a friend helped me recharge the system, the freon he got said synthetic on the container, it blows colder now than when the car was new.
No, I was saying if it loses its charge and ruins the compressor, I’m just going to not have AC any more. This is just my backup vehicle, and it’s next major expense will be tires.

Where does the other end of the line go? One end goes to the condenser, there is a tap that bolts to the compressor, and then there is another end connection I’m not sure where it ends up.

Accumulator/drier. Should be the threaded connection, IIRC

Is there a way to empty the dryer to know how much oil to put back in? I’m arranging to get the system evac’d on the side, and I’ll try and vac and charge it with a guy at work.

Is there a way to empty the dryer to know how much oil to put back in? I’m arranging to get the system evac’d on the side, and I’ll try and vac and charge it with a guy at work.

Post #8

E

Per the FSM, drill a hole in drier and empty oil into measuring cup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back