• Register Today It's free!

Add grease like a Doctor?

IgotTwo

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg, N.J.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT - 97 XLT SOHC
Anyone ever hear of greasing CVs or other "big booted" sealed drive parts with a “needle grease fitting” … as in make a very small puncture hole to add grease?

It didn’t sound too far fetched and pretty straight forward. I guess you seal the puncture hole with sealant? .....as not to destroy the boot seal.

I've had a needle fitting for my grease gun sitting around for years. I've never used it cause I knew I would probably stab myself with it .. maybe its time to put it to work or maybe I can use it for something.

Anyone pick up on this one from “their barrel of life”
:D
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you remove you CV's or the boots come off i dont think you should ever need to lube them. I dont know if theyre supposed to be lubricated every 100k miles or something but even so its not all that much to pop the boots off and lube the joints.

Good point:
I guess if you get do get to that point ....just pop the clamp, slide it off and put a new one on.

PS AH! What's this “NJ garbage state stuff" .. perpetuating an urban myth! hahaha
Be comfortable in the fact - There are a lot of states laying low in full knowledge that they better deserve the title.

:D :D

aCTUALLY i KEEP A SYRINGE IN MY TOOLBOX JUST FOR THIS. IT IS A GREAT TOOL FOR GETTING GREASE INTO SWAY BAR BUSHINGS, PEDAL PIVOT POINTS, DOOR HINGES, ETC.........

yES THEY MAKE A NEEDLE ATTACHMENTD FOR YOUR GREASE GUN AND YOU CAN USE IT TO INJECT GREASE INTO T HE BOOTS, BUT I PERSONALLY DONT HAVE ANY BOOTS EXCEPT FOR MY DRIVESHAFT SLIP YOKE.....

Sorry for the caps.....

nope jersey sucks, rvcc sucks, driving rt 31 to work everyday really sucks. insurance rates are out of this world here, the cost of living is insane.. the people suck (no offense to new jerksians who dont suck :p) um um yeah thats prolly it for now.

and of course being on topic with the thread.... Now that ive thought about it i dont think you would get the grease where it needs to be by inserting a needle into the boot. you ont to get the grease into the bearings and not just into the boot. i think you would have a hard time doing it without taking the boots of.

Not a big thing but I thought heat and spnning might play their part as in a CV ...if you thought it would help.

Even not having leak still makes me wonder sometimes

NJ:
Easy big guy!........be lucky you ain't living in Iraq.
I hear in the most desert communities you don't even need car insurance!

NO! NO! Let's not start another thread on that!!!!
:D :D :D

regardless once i have the finances im moving out to pa. :)

Back