Attempted Theft of My '92 XLT-Ignition Broken! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Attempted Theft of My '92 XLT-Ignition Broken!

Altaman

Reaction score
Someone tried to steal my '91 XLT and Broke the Ignition switich. It looks like they jamed a screw drive into the door lock to gain access, pryed off the chrome thumb ring around the ignition lock(it's was laying on the floor) then stuck the screw into the switch to try to start it! :(

What do I need to do to replace the ignition switch? I can't turn the switch to ON w/ the key to do a typical removal. Is the chrome thumb ring still usable? Any help appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sucks man. i think you're gonna have to hit a junkyard and replace both parts.....

True, I'll have to replace both parts. But how do I get the broken one out if the key will not turn? Thanks

it might still come out, just make sure and hit the little release thing under the lock. and the chrome thumb ring is part of the lock, so it gets replaced with it. and why go to a junkyard when you can buy new for like $20?

Go to a dealer with the old one & they can match it up by serial number & you can get a key that is keyed to your doors as well. If you put an aftermarket in you'll need 2 sets of keys. 1 for ignition, 1 for locks.

This is the way I went when my ignition cylinder broke.

Can they get a new one for a '94, seeing it's already 13 years old? Mine is so loose and the key don't go with the chrome wing. I get the feeling it's gonna be hard to find, seeing as mine has manual...so that means I need one with the lock release button.

i just bought one for my '94, any parts store has them. i had the same problem, the key didn't go with the wing, and i couldn't get the key out either. there is no lock release "button", either. there's a little hole you can stick something small into and take the lock out. you have to take off the plastic around the steering column

Sorry to hear about troubles, Altaman.
Got a knot in my stomach just thinking about something like that happening to me. :(
It's there an "extra-hot" place reserved for those that try or take someone else's Ex? :)

OK, I just had my ignition cylinder replaced a few weeks ago.
(Got my '94 EB, and the key was really flopping around in there.)
Also, the one key I had would only unlock the driver's door - and it wouldn't even lock it.

Stopped by the local Ford dealer, and had a little chat with him.
I asked him about what I could do so I wouldn't have to have two seperate keys - one ignition and one door.
He pointed me to a locksmith.

As much as I hate to spend my hard-earned money, I broke down and met up with the recommended one.
He tweaked on my key and got it to locking and unlocking all the doors.
(One too many copy-of-a-copy.)
Then he rekeyed the ignition cylinder I had bought earlier at AutoZone. About $15.)
While he was working, he told me that one part of the key - either the point end or the end near "head" works the ignition cylinder, and the opposite part works the locks.
(Now I remember the parts man at the Ford dealer saying the same thing.)

So, looks like, if you took your two seperate keys to a good locksmith, he could combine the two, and you would end up with one key that would work both.
Anyone ever tried it? :)

Maybe that info will help someone.
Thanks to you all on here! You have saved to loads of money, lots of headaches, and hours of time with all your advice and input on all kinds of things I've had troubles with or just wanted to fix.
Everyone - take a bow!
Watch out, don't knock heads there! :)

My Explorer is a '92, not '91(don't know why I said '91.

I've been able to get good access to the lock housing by removeing the upper and lower plastic covers, but I can't see how the tumbler comes out, nowhere do I see the little hole (or any hole) that is supposed to release the tumbler. Mine is a 5 speed stick, does that make a difference?

I wish I had pics, its hard to describe, but the hole isn't right next to the lock. If you look next to the cylinder, you can see a little tube molded into the casing metal for the steering column, on the side closest to you. Follow that tube, it ends up in some weird place, and find the end. That is where you insert something to release the lock. Like I said, hard without pics, but hopefully this helps.

if u go to the dealer and get a new door cylinder...on my 01 sport the passenger door it looks like someone tried to break in w/ the previous owner

Can they get a new one for a '94, seeing it's already 13 years old? Mine is so loose and the key don't go with the chrome wing. I get the feeling it's gonna be hard to find, seeing as mine has manual...so that means I need one with the lock release button.

I did. Not a problem.

Here are photos I took, any help? Where is the release located?

P1010002.jpg

P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

On mine I had to take that plastic shroud off. & to do that I had to pull the steering wheel. The hole is located at the bottom of the column under that shroud.

Altaman, maybe these pictures will help...

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 8,346
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 4,570

Gloomis, great pics, thanks a bunch

Well, I spent 1 1/2 hours trying to get it to release. I'm pretty sure I'm in the right spot. A couple of times I felt something push in, I was even able to turn the key a bit to the ON position, but couldn't get the lock out.

I'l ltry again...Could the release button have been damaged so it dosen't release?

I may have to drill out the lock---Any advice if I do have to drill out?

Altaman, the locksmith actually replaced the cylinder for me, so I'm not sure how it would feel or how much pressure it required.
It didn't see to be too hard - of course, he had probably done that a few hundred times.

You might want to pick up a new one so you can see and maybe replicate what you're feeling from the one still installed.
I know I can do a better job when I can "see" the things that I actually can't see. :)

Good luck!

I want to thank everyone for all their help. :salute:

The notations by Gloomis on my photos were right-on and should be included in the definative description of where to find the release pin:thumbsup:

After 2 hours of trying to release the lock I had to break down and get locksmith to come out. It turns out the theives had cracked the lock and that's why I couldn't get it out-he had to drill out the lock, did a nice job.

FYI: He charged me $160 incl all parts and matching the lock to my key.

just saying thanks for the good pics. very helpfull.

Mine's getting worn and starting to give me trouble.

Thought this would be one thing I don't want to wait till it *breaks* to fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Gloomis

Gloomis - Just want to thank you for the on-point pics --Couldn't have done it without ya:salute:

Back