Auto-4x4 Disable(2WD Mode) The Complicated but Awesome Way! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto-4x4 Disable(2WD Mode) The Complicated but Awesome Way!

JeepGuy25

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer E.B.
Hey all. Ive been tinkering with my Auto-4x4 disable for a bit now on my 2010 4.6 Eddie Bauer.

I HATED the way the Auto-4x4 system worked. When I first got the Explorer, the transfer case made so much noise. A noise that many of you describe on the forums as a groaning sound. And it would engage constantly. Dry, warm, sunny days going up an on-ramp would make it kick in. Pulling off from a red light on a straight dry stretch of road would make it kick in. It was horrible. Come to find out...my t-case was broken. It had no 4-low at all, and there were actually pieces of the case floating around inside. Ford replaced it under my extended warranty. Thank goodness for that!!!

Upon getting it back, I almost immediately did the disable mod. On the 06-10 models, you guys know, its not the brown wire mod. Its the grey with orange stripe mod. There is another good thread on here showing what wire it is, and my video also describes which wire. Im not going to get into a debate about why I did it. I give an explanation in the vid. But I will say Ive been in 2wd mode 100% of the time for a few months with zero ill effects.

Instead of putting a toggle switch on it, I wanted to make it work more seamlessly with the buttons that were already there. I wanted to basically toggle Auto-4x4 on and off, so it made sense to me to use that button. Exactly how I feel FORD should have done it in the first place. What I ended up doing is using a simple circuit to turn a momentary switch into a latching switch. The buttons in the Explorer cant be tapped into directly, unless you build a logic circuit that can read different resistances and act on one specific value. That was too much for me to mess with, so I went with the simple mechanical route.

Here are a couple of pictures of the set up. Below you will find a video demonstrating how it works. The second half goes into more detail about the circuit and how its hooked up. This could also be used in older models, or anything that has a system that you can disable by disconnecting a single wire. If you have any questions let me know!

Micro-switch glued to the back of the stock switch assembly.

20161105_220146_1478816533967_resized_zps7ziqmfzh.jpg

20161105_220151_1478816533226_resized_zpsvedc6k0f.jpg

This is the wiring for the LED. Decent amount of space to run the wires out.

20161105_220155_1478816532660_resized_zpscndeholm.jpg

Here's a tip. Any time you shove a circuit into a small project box like this, print out, or draw up the circuit diagrams and tape them to the lid. This way you have a quick reference if you ever need to service or adjust it. This is better than having to look it up, or remember where you put the diagrams.

20161106_212751_1478816532032_resized_zpsh9pg4dv7.jpg

This is the whole setup.

20161106_212945_1478816530384_resized_zpsfiaiylze.jpg

And finally this is how the switch looks when activated. The light is highly visible even in direct sunlight.

20161109_165407_1478816164175_resized_zpssy0mvhke.jpg

Finally, here is the video I made covering the whole idea. Is it more complicated than it has to be? Heck yes! Was it really fun to figure out? Yup! With the added bonus of being a "neat" solution and having minimal permanent damage to the car, Im glad I did it!

Thanks for checking it out!

Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the write-up.

I didn't quite follow (can't watch the video, I'm at work) as to how the toggle switch was activated by pressing the AUTO momentary button... or is it really activated by pressing the toggle switch in the other module?

Watch the video when you're home :) It will be super clear.

But basically, the Auto-4x4 button can be depressed without activating the micro switch that I added. If you press a little harder, you will feel the click of the switch that I added and you will trigger the system. The rod that I put in to activate the micro switch is trimmed so its triggering the switch just past when the Auto-4x4 button is closing its contact. It works pretty smooth.

J.

Okay, you got another view from me. :thumbsup: Good video and good explanation.

I had never realized (thought about) that the 4x4 was really on most of the time when there's a little slipping. I think it's worth doing this mod. Yours is super clean and easy for you and the wife to control. I think I'll do a simple toggle though because it's better than nothing.

btw, my 2006 V8 has only 92k on it and I get generally 15-16mpg off the highway and 19-20mpg on long trips. I'd like to see if I got any improvement with it forced into 2WD.

It's actually quite like my 2013 Chrysler 300 which claims AWD. It has a display which tells me it's in RWD until I slip.. unless it's under 40 degrees, then it's AWD from startup.

I really like this. It really would have been cool if Ford did this from the factory. How much do you suppose the whole set up costs? I ask because you could probably make a few and people would buy them to get your results without the possibility that they would botch the small stuff.

nice! very clean idea. i have a basic rocker switch in my glove box on the grey-orange wire, but i have found that sometimes the wrench light comes on when driving with the switch off.

Justin,

Can you put out a parts list of what you got? I'm a little lost on the switch box....

thanks,
Tom

I thought about making a few units up. But honestly, I would hate to sell this, and have someone wire it up wrong, or have the trasnfer case get messed up. Plus the 4x4 switch needs pretty extensive modification. So I would need the switch sent to me, etc etc. Ide rather just share the idea and let people DIY it.

06bluez: Thats odd. Ive never seen the wrench light. Even when I connect and disconnect it a bunch of times trying to trip it up. No indication that anything is wrong at all.

tymeno: Sure. Let me put a list below:

Latching Switch Circuit - https://www.pololu.com/product/2808
Relay - (any relay will work, I used a radio shack version) something like this https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-15a-12vdc-125vac-relay
Project Box - Again from radio shack. Ive had this laying around since the 90's...this is probably the 4th project Ive had in it. You can mount things however you want.
Rocker Switch - If you want to be able to bypass the system and just connect the wire like factory.

Thats about it. The momentary switch can be any switch you can find. This one was laying around probably for 10-15 years haha. LED is any 3mm LED that you can run on 12v DC.

I can try to draw up a schematic, but once you have the parts together its pretty easy.

J.

Thanks J.

I ended up cutting my wire so I could get my ex on a dyno after putting a blower on. Was trying to find something better than a toggle and I love your solution.

Gonna try to get this together over the holidays. Appreciate all your videos.

Tom

I think there may be a change of switches through out the year models. My 07 ST switch for "auto 4x4" doesn't seem to go down as far as yours in the video. Did you take the face off and modify the throw depth?

I didnt modify the actual switch much at all. Just drilled a hole for the LED to shine through, and attached the switch via a push-rod.

As far as I can tell, there should be no difference. Mine will push further on the left side of the switch than the right side, just because of the way its arranged. I dont think you could engage my 4x4 unit while pushing on the extreme right side of the Auto button. You can if you push harder in the center. And if you push on the left its very easy.

Remember, the micro switch only requires a small amount of movement to click over to closed. Also, you can pre-load the micro-switch so that it requires even less movement. I didnt want to do this too much, because I wanted to be able to work the auto switch without turning off my 4x4 mod. So I made it activate JUST past where the factory switch seems to stop. A tiny more force trips the switch. And I mean tiny...nothing will break.

J.

I've heard of it for the new SRT Cherokee. Its called Tazer from zautomotive i this think its some sort of app. I was watching a video on Instagram and come to think of it, it'll probably be sick to see an 07 explorer rip tires

Hey all. Ive been tinkering with my Auto-4x4 disable for a bit now on my 2010 4.6 Eddie Bauer.

I HATED the way the Auto-4x4 system worked. When I first got the Explorer, the transfer case made so much noise. A noise that many of you describe on the forums as a groaning sound. And it would engage constantly. Dry, warm, sunny days going up an on-ramp would make it kick in. Pulling off from a red light on a straight dry stretch of road would make it kick in. It was horrible. Come to find out...my t-case was broken. It had no 4-low at all, and there were actually pieces of the case floating around inside. Ford replaced it under my extended warranty. Thank goodness for that!!!

Upon getting it back, I almost immediately did the disable mod. On the 06-10 models, you guys know, its not the brown wire mod. Its the grey with orange stripe mod. There is another good thread on here showing what wire it is, and my video also describes which wire. Im not going to get into a debate about why I did it. I give an explanation in the vid. But I will say Ive been in 2wd mode 100% of the time for a few months with zero ill effects.

Instead of putting a toggle switch on it, I wanted to make it work more seamlessly with the buttons that were already there. I wanted to basically toggle Auto-4x4 on and off, so it made sense to me to use that button. Exactly how I feel FORD should have done it in the first place. What I ended up doing is using a simple circuit to turn a momentary switch into a latching switch. The buttons in the Explorer cant be tapped into directly, unless you build a logic circuit that can read different resistances and act on one specific value. That was too much for me to mess with, so I went with the simple mechanical route.

Here are a couple of pictures of the set up. Below you will find a video demonstrating how it works. The second half goes into more detail about the circuit and how its hooked up. This could also be used in older models, or anything that has a system that you can disable by disconnecting a single wire. If you have any questions let me know!

Micro-switch glued to the back of the stock switch assembly.

View attachment 311578

View attachment 311579

This is the wiring for the LED. Decent amount of space to run the wires out.

View attachment 311580

Here's a tip. Any time you shove a circuit into a small project box like this, print out, or draw up the circuit diagrams and tape them to the lid. This way you have a quick reference if you ever need to service or adjust it. This is better than having to look it up, or remember where you put the diagrams.

View attachment 311581

This is the whole setup.

View attachment 311582

And finally this is how the switch looks when activated. The light is highly visible even in direct sunlight.

View attachment 311583

Finally, here is the video I made covering the whole idea. Is it more complicated than it has to be? Heck yes! Was it really fun to figure out? Yup! With the added bonus of being a "neat" solution and having minimal permanent damage to the car, Im glad I did it!

Thanks for checking it out!

Justin

That is genius...I swear I'm going through the same thing with my 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0
I have watched many videos and nothing has worked....also, my 4x4 high light flashes 10 times every 2 minutes on the dash...if i push the 4x4 low button it flashes then kicks in as it should, but when i push the 4x4 high it does not eluminate up on the dash but the 4x4 low does disengage...and if i hit the 4x4 Auto i dont see or hear any changes and can tell it is doing what you said on normal driving condition's...

Back