BBK 66mm throttle body | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BBK 66mm throttle body

im selling my bbk 66mm OHV tb now.i would like to get $175 plus shipping
bbk-66.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bolt on to a 99 4.0L SOHC???

Sent you pm regards

This is for sale on TRS also isnt it?

Pending;)

sold

Little size comparison .left is bbk 66mm and right is stock
2011-12-10151708.jpg

Hello,

this is an old thread, but i hope someone maybe could help us.
In this last pictue obove you see both throttle body for an OHV Explorer.
Both have an idle air control bypass bore.

Now we bought a new BBK 1580 for the OHV, but the new BBK has no bypass bore.
BBK only answered, that we don't need this bore, something else must be the reason
for the bad idle.

Now we asked us if BBK is right or this throttle body is a "bad" production?
Maybe someone brings light in our darkness?

regards Wolfgang

Hello,

this is an old thread, but i hope someone maybe could help us.
In this last pictue obove you see both throttle body for an OHV Explorer.
Both have an idle air control bypass bore.

Now we bought a new BBK 1580 for the OHV, but the new BBK has no bypass bore.
BBK only answered, that we don't need this bore, something else must be the reason
for the bad idle.

Now we asked us if BBK is right or this throttle body is a "bad" production?
Maybe someone brings light in our darkness?

regards Wolfgang

No ideas? The original throttle body was installed again instead of the BBK 1580,
now the idle is pefekt.

Are you taking about the tiny hole in the butterfly valve? It was only present on a few years of the ohv
With a good working iac valve the tiny hole is not needed.
If you have low idle issues with the bbk installed you can simply drill a small hole in the butterfly
I have done this before, way back in the day when putting a 92 ohv into a 83 ranger had a low idle I could not solve.‘drilled the small hole and it fixed it. It had something to do with the intake and computer combo I was using.

Are you taking about the tiny hole in the butterfly valve? It was only present on a few years of the ohv
With a good working iac valve the tiny hole is not needed.
If you have low idle issues with the bbk installed you can simply drill a small hole in the butterfly
I have done this before, way back in the day when putting a 92 ohv into a 83 ranger had a low idle I could not solve.‘drilled the small hole and it fixed it. It had something to do with the intake and computer combo I was using.

thanks for your answer, i am talking about the big bypass bore which is going angular through the body
of the OEM throttle body. The BBK 1580 don't have this bore on the intake side, but the bore on the engine side
is present.
The BBK seal also has this gap, so we asked us what is the reason.

Wolfgang

thanks for your answer, i am talking about the big bypass bore which is going angular through the body
of the OEM throttle body. The BBK 1580 don't have this bore on the intake side, but the bore on the engine side
is present.
The BBK seal also has this gap, so we asked us what is the reason.

Wolfgang

If we are right, this is the only way to get air to the idle air control valve.

The throttle body should have that bore

As far as I can tell they just missed drilling it out I would return it as defective

The throttle body should have that bore

As far as I can tell they just missed drilling it out I would return it as defective
This is our opinion too, but this member of our forum was in contact with BBK and they say the bore is not needed, every time he asked why.
So he was not so amused about this behaviour, i think he is a very good mechanic and will set this bore by himself.
He likes his OHV, the Explorer became a "family member".
I can understand that, i would do that too and ignore the warranty, maybe possible trouble with BBK.

My SOHC has a bigger throttle body too but it runs without problems, only the back spring is a little bit to soft.

Wolfgang

That hole is used by the iac to meter a certain amount of air around the butterfly valve, allowing the truck to idle

Without it the iac would have to have another source if incoming air in order to inject air to the engine side and keep the engine at idle. It maybe able to get enough air through it’s breather cap?

Have you tried running the engine with this throttle
Body
Bolted up?

Yes he has tried everything with this BBK boltet on to get a stable idle, but no luck.
If the throttle is closed, engine stalls or try to adjust the idle.

I am shure this bore is needed, this used tb has it

and i saw some other used tb's which has it too.
This one from a Amazon recension too.

Here is one user with the same problem

Wolfgang

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sheesh

Back