Building Smart Charger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building Smart Charger

I need some help tracking down parts for this circuit.
If anyone knows of a supply place in the Western Burbs of Chicago, please let me know. RadioShack doesn't have everything I need. That BC140 is a NPN Transistor, RS doesn't have it or anything close. I could use a BC548 but I cant find that ether.

Basically what I want to build is a smart trickle charger to connect to all the batteries up at the lake house.

This is the basic circuit from http://www.circuitstoday.com/battery-charger-circuit-using-lm317

batterycharger-vi.jpg

The idea is to build one charging station to connect to at least 6 batteries. So the final project will have 6 copies of that circuit diagram and either one main 20 amp DC power supply or 6 individual transformers with bridge rectifiers and such to create 2.5 amps per charging connection. I will probably add amp gauges to each on the front panel. This circuit is also missing some diodes to prevent battery drain if main power is out. Also a couple on the DC input to avoid cross feed. Im also thinking a red and green led to show if the charger is in high or low mode. Ill post the final schematic when its finished. (if I find all the parts)

If it works out Ill probably build 3 charging stations so I can connect every battery we have. As you can imagine, its a lot of batteries. Snowmobiles, jet-skis and boats.

Ya I know Harbor Freight has them for like 18 bucks but those didnt work that good. We bought 7 of those last year and only 2 still work.

Thanks;
Bob

little bump.........

I know someone on this site knows more about this stuff than I do.

Help;
Bob

Back