Cluster/HVAC Controls Backlight Issues? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cluster/HVAC Controls Backlight Issues?

CnKole

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x2
Alright so this one is a bit of a doozy.
2004 Explorer XLS 4.0 Flex.
No Fog, No Autolamp.

The bit of backstory leading up to this is: I was driving in the evening, had cluster & hvac control backlight and taillights and suddenly I dont anymore. Did a bit of research on here to find out that the Main light switch on the dash is a pretty common issue with these, so I sourced a used one. Issue persisted. Decided to try bypassing the switch and I stopped blowing the fuse. Installed toggle switches to bypass the main light switch, plugged the interior dimmer side of the switch back in, blew the fuse again. Unplugged and installed new fuse, no blowing the fuse anymore.

I tried bypassing the switch on the dimmer side of it with no luck, I could not get my cluster lights to come back. Though I have gotten my amber running lights up front back, as well as my tail lights, and license plate lights. My dad suggested that I blew ALL of the bulbs in the cluster at once and I'm just over here thinking theres no way thats the case.

Lights that I currently do not have:
  • Cluster Backlight
  • HVAC Controls Backlight
  • Pretty sure I would also have no Radio backlight, but have aftermarket radio so do not know.
Lights that I currently have working because they never stopped working or I bypassed the switch
  • Headlights (High & Low)
  • Turn Signals
  • Hazards
  • Brake Lights
  • License Plate Lights
  • Running lights (front and back)
  • Not equipped with fog lights.
  • Notification lights in the cluster (CEL, Brights Indicator, Check Gauges, etc)
  • Odometer/Trip Display
My main question is: is this even worth digging more into? or just get some cheap LED strip and put in on the top of the cluster so I can see it at night? If it is worth it, anyone have any suggestions?

Back