Do I Have a Complete Tow Package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I Have a Complete Tow Package?

I own a 1996 Explorer 2 DR Sport. I got my 2" ball setup on my bumper last night, and decided to solve the wiring harness issue this morning. Everywhere I went told me I needed the $50 wire harness with the wonky power-module dealie. These products require a wire feed to the battery. I decided against buying any of these whacky rigs, and instead went digging around inside my bumper to see what I could find.

Go figure - I found a pigtail up inside my bumper between the passenger side tail-light and the license plate. Here's a picture of it (click to enlarge)...

Searching these forums I found a thread from 2003 that said a plug-in adapter is available from Ford and other manufacturers, that converts this pigtail to the standard 4-flat plug. I ran down the street to Advanced Auto Parts and found a simple $15 Hoppy Harness (part #40915) that fits like a charm. On the Hoppy website, this part number is listed under Ford Explorer (with tow package). Here is the product link... http://www.trailerwiring.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?part=40915, and here is a photo of the package (click to enlarge)...

Now the question is, if I have this pigtail, does it mean I have the full tow package? Tranny cooler? Etc.? Or are ALL Explorers fitted with this pigtail?

I believe from some point on like 1995, all trucks will have the connector there. The difference will be the actual wires which go into it. The 91-94 models had three special relays mounted in that quarter panel to feed the hitch wires. The 95+ models don't place the towing package relays there any longer. I don't have many details, I just learned this from working with my 93 Limited and 99 Limited wiring. I have that connector in my 99, and I think the wires include the towing wires, there are about five in mine.

The 95+ models don't place the towing package relays there any longer. I don't have many details, I just learned this from working with my 93 Limited and 99 Limited wiring. I have that connector in my 99, and I think the wires include the towing wires, there are about five in mine.

Thanks for the reply. That is interesting.

I did some more snooping and found the wires going to that pigtail match the wiring on the Hoppy adapter. There are 4-in (to the pigtail), and 4-out (of the Hoppy). (1) Black, (1) White, (1) Yellow, and (1) Green. I also found the inside of my bumper has steel plates bolted to the frame, and the ball mount is attached to a steel plate running across the length of the bumper that also bolts to the frame. I haven't plugged the 4-flat into a trailer to test it yet, but I'm becoming increasingly optimistic (based on my other finds) that it will work.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Back