Does F-150 use same ecoboost as Explorer Sport and Platinum? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Does F-150 use same ecoboost as Explorer Sport and Platinum?

svo4turbo

Reaction score
City, State
Colton, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Platinum
I noticed that when looking at factory specs, both vehicles appear to use the 3.5L TT V6, and they make the same HP at 365 I believe, but the F150 makes well over 400 Ft lbs torque. Why can't the exploder have this? If it's truly the same engine, then did Ford just detune it for the Explorer configuration? If that's the case, then it would make me feel better about applying a tune to my own ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

F150 is RWD... no PTU to deal with. The powertrain can't handle the additional torque as designed.

F150 in the not so distant future is getting a dual port fuel injected version of the 3.5 TT, as well.

So then, you're saying it is, in fact, a detuned version of the same engine. That makes me feel less concerned about causing any issues internally by applying a moderate tune.

So then, you're saying it is, in fact, a detuned version of the same engine. That makes me feel less concerned about causing any issues internally by applying a moderate tune.
At your own risk of course!

This is not true. The F-150 used to use the same 365hp 3.5L EcoBoost engine as the Explorer, the 2018 is using a 2nd Gen 3.5L EcoBoost that has been completely redesigned. One of the biggest changes was adding port injection in addition to DI to clean the back of the intake valves. These engines also have larger turbos.

The Raptor & Lincoln Navigator are getting the special 450hp high-output version of this engine while the F-150 gets a 375hp version. The 2018 Expedition has a 375hp version of this engine and 400hp for the Expedition Platinum.

But it would be true, for say, the 2016 model year?

But it would be true, for say, the 2016 model year?

No, all Explorer Sports and Platinums(including the 2018MY) use the 1st generation 3.5L EcoBoost with the smaller turbos and only use direct injection.

Sorry, what I meant was that for the 2016 model year, the Exploders and F150's would have used the same 3.5L TT engine.

They are both first generation 3.5L EcoBoost engines(only use direct injection) and make 365hp but there are some different parts. The main engine components look the same in the drawings, the turbos are definitely different. This is probably why the F-150 has higher torque numbers.

I'm pretty sure the F150 engine is longitudinally mounted and the Explorer engine is horizontally mounted. Can't be the same engine.

I'm pretty sure the F150 engine is longitudinally mounted and the Explorer engine is horizontally mounted. Can't be the same engine.
Actually it can. Several automakers have done it in the past. The longitudinally mounted engine will use a different transmission of course as well as having more room in the engine compartment for accessories, exhaust manifolds and turbos.

Aside from comparing engine codes. Without doing a part-by-part comparison of the 2 engines it's entirely likely that they use the same engine. It's also possible that the heads may differ from transverse to longitudinal for a multitude of reasons; cooling, fuel delivery, oil system. This is purely speculation. But I've seen something similar with VW & Audi in previous years.

Anyone have access to the Ford parts catalog/software?

In regards to the addition of port injection. I can't be certain if this does any more than keep intake valves clean, which is a problem with direct injection engines. The EGR/crankcase ventilation system contains vapors that have the ability to cause buildup on the backside of the intake valves. This is something that VW has dealt with since they went to direct injection gasoline engines. In terms of power it might make more sense to use injectors capable of delivering more fuel than adding fuel delivery upstream.

As an aside, the Ford GT uses the same block as other 3.5l Ecoboost engines but that's where the similarities end.

This Wikipedia article has a good listing of which vehicles use the 1st and 2nd generation 3.5L EcoBoost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine#3.5-L

As stated in the link above "The F-series EcoBoost 3.5L V6 uses two BorgWarner K03 turbochargers which can spin up to 170,000 rpm and provide up to 15 psi of boost. The transverse EcoBoost 3.5L V6 uses two Garrett GT1549L turbochargers and provides up to 11 psi of boost."

Back