New Rims | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Rims

Hey, I'm looking to get some Rims and tires for the first time and need a lil help. I got a 1998 Eddie Bauer X and want to throw on 20's on it. First, will they fit? Or do i need spacers or cut some stuff out? Second, what are some good tires to get, I do not go off roading and only drive on the streets. I live near Boston so you should know what type of winters i should go through, i go to vermont as well for skiing, so what kind of tires should i get and should i get two pairs, one regular and one set of winter tires. You think it would be a good idea to take the Rims off in the winter when i go into Vermont, because of the salt, sand and snow can tarnish the rims or have problems driving due to the thin wheels or slickness?

20inch rims will fit. do a search ofr rims and u will find a few people have 20s on their x. the ride is harsher then stock, u will not need spacers and they shouldnt rub. i would keep stock rims for winter, and use the new ones for spring summer and fall.

follow to a "T" what jssong said that is what i did. just take a look at mine here. the only place they rubbed was a teeeeeny little bit on the rear where there is a little plastic piece sticking out but i took a sawzall to that and it is no longer a problem.

Attachments

• after-bugguard-off1.jpg
    after-bugguard-off1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 238

yea they fit

Yep 20's fit well on an explorer.
i have Mondera B-52's on my 01 XLT
wheelsidefar2.jpg

Here is my site with more info and pics:
http://cumebunny.homestead.com/wheels.html

U shouldnt have much of a problem with rubbing if u make sure u get a SUV/RWD or AWD designed wheel. This will ensure they have a suitable backspacing.
U will need a 5x114.3 (5x4.5) bolt pattern on the wheels.

I suggest you switch wheels and tires in the winter - not only to protect yer expensive wheels, but also because there is no tires for 20's that are gonna give u good traction on snow/ice.

As for tires? on a budget i would consider Goodyear Eagle II's (275/45r20) These offer smooth ride good traction and are a good size for the explorer.
The other more expensive options are Toyo Proxes or Falken Zeix tires. These come only in a 50 profile tho- which i think is too tall. (but thats just a personal opinion) if u were to go with the toyos or falkens stick with the 265/50r20 Size. Dont try to stuff a 305 wide tire or something on the X.

My monderas rub every so slightly on the front sway bar at full lock when turning.. but not enough to cause concern.. and can be prevented by not fully locking out the wheel.
Some others that have 20's are Slick and Black Magic.
Search for these guys for more pix.

Stock?

What are stock wheels? Are those the standard rims and tires tht came with my car when I bought them??And how much did those rims cost AnabolicFrolic???

Back