New wheels/tires on 01 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New wheels/tires on 01 Sport Trac

Got some Pro Comp 7031 15" wheels for my 2001 Explorer Sport Trac 4X4, and I just put one on to check the fitment. There is a gap between the hub and the center bore of these new wheels, unlike the stock Ford wheels. So these are not hub centric...is that a problem? Should I get hub centric rings for them? or are these meant to be lug centric

Also, I got Gorilla acorn tapered lug nuts to go with the wheels, but I didn't realize they were 13/16" socket size, so the fitment is tight when trying to get a socket in to tighten the lug nuts. I might return them to get the 3/4" instead. But before I do, are these ok to use with my new wheels if in fact they are "lug centric"? Because I'm not sure if I would need better lug nuts for that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 2¢...

If your wheels will accept a hubcentric ring, then use them. I have seen enough pics online showing broken lug bolts from people not using them. Did they break from not using a hubcentric ring? I dunno. Hubcentric rings cheap enough for me to not find out.

I have had past vibration issues with my Paseo that hubcentric rings fixed.

As for your lugnut issue, do you need a thin-wall socket? They are available from many manufacturers, but if you are in a hurry, go to your local parts store, and look at deep-well thin-wall spark plug sockets. I use them for the lugnuts on my Paseo. Used a Craftsman one for 8+ years before it split. Now using one from Carquest, since Sears is not close by. One possible issue is on how long one would last on an Explorer with the higher torque needed though :dunno:

The OE Ford wheels, and truck wheels in general, are lug-centric. The snug fit of the stock wheels over the hubs is by design, but that isn't for centering purposes, at least not in the same way hub-centric wheels on cars are. It helps with centering the wheel, sure, but the lugs need to be tightened in the correct pattern to ensure the wheels are centered when mounted.

Still, if the center bore of the wheels has the bevel for a hub-centric ring, it's not a bad idea to get a set and use them. It will make it that much easier to seat the wheel on the lugs, and be super-close to centered already.

If you can get them, alloy hub rings seem to last longer than the plastic kind. They may not have the snap-in fit, but it beats having to buy another set every so often when one ring falls apart.

3/4" lug nuts would probably be a better choice, not just for the socket access and so the new wheels don't get messed up, but so you can use the stock lug wrench in a pinch to change to the spare. Gorilla lug nuts are pretty good, or at least they were, not sure if they are still made in the USA. As long as the angle of the lug nut seat is the right one for the alloy wheels (most are), and they are deep enough so they don't bottom out on the lugs, they should be fine.

The OE Ford wheels, and truck wheels in general, are lug-centric. The snug fit of the stock wheels over the hubs is by design, but that isn't for centering purposes, at least not in the same way hub-centric wheels on cars are. It helps with centering the wheel, sure, but the lugs need to be tightened in the correct pattern to ensure the wheels are centered when mounted.

OMG! Finally someone else who realizes how bolted assemblies work!

If wheels were truly centered by the hub, you'd need to press the wheels on to get that kind of accuracy. That little bit of slop that exists between the wheel center bore and hub flange would be disastrous at high speed as it exists now. The conical taper of the lug nuts helps to center the wheel. Tightening each one slowly helps to ensure that the wheel can move as needed to center itself. Doing this with the wheel in the air will help as well.

And no, that hub flange doesn't carry an ounce of vehicle weight. The weight is carried by the shear friction generated between wheel and hub when the lug nuts are properly tightened.

Thanks for the info. I havent found any hubcentric rings that fit this application, so if I need them I'll have to get custom rings made. http://www.hubcentric-rings.com/
I spoke to a tire shop and wheel manufacturer and they said I wont need the rings unless there is vibration from the wheels.

I have to use a thin wall socket on the American Racing Wheels on my Sport Trac. The holes for the lug nuts are recessed, and are too small for most lug wrenches to fit into. Smaller lug nuts wouldn't really help. It's the outer dimension of the socket/wrench that's a problem. A regular 3/8" drive deepwell socket fits, but I had to get a thin wall 1/2" drive deepwell socket to use with a breaker bar for enough leverage. I didn't like using an adapter with the 3/8" drive socket and 1/2" drive breaker bar. The deepwell socket grips the lug nut better than a shallow lug wrench anyway.

Back