Power window issues: master switch replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power window issues: master switch replacement

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Recently I have had issues with the driver’s ( only ) window not responding to up or down commands (http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236507 ). The concern magically resolved itself ( yeah right! ). Silly me, I ignored the problem as if it was indeed resolved.

It’s a ***** attempting to use the drive up bank teller, not to mention the local Sonic, and the window won’t work.

A few days ago the front passenger ( only ) window did the same thing. Now this bothersome state of affairs required prompt resolution.

I decided to replace the master window control switch on the driver’s door. I got the new one from Torrie at Fast Parts Network (http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com/ ), part number F87Z14529AA, for $72.39 to my door via UPS.

The initial step when working with an electrical component was to disconnect the battery’s negative cable. This was followed by the removal of the driver’s door panel by unscrewing the 2 screws and the inside door handle cup and releasing the 8 pin type fasteners with a panel removal tool. This was followed by lifting the panel to disengage the top lip from the weather-strip.

The arm rest module was separated from the door panel

The next step was to unscrew ( 4 screws ) the bottom part of the switch from the top ( with the buttons ). Next, with a flat blade screwdriver I released the 4 tabs holding the top part of the switch to the arm rest trim panel. The switch was then removed. It was filthy in ther.

After cleaning up the mounting location, the new switch was snapped into place.

This was followed by reattaching the two switch parts and sliding the arm rest module into the door trim panel.

The installation of the new switch was the reverse of the removal of the old one.

This switch removal and replacement project about 30 minutes.

Once again I have functional window control.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 1,841
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,826
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,976
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 1,867

$16 to ship that little thing to you??? I'll tell you...UPS is getting very expensive anymore. I just shipped a package the other day and it was almost 20% cheaper by Fed-Ex ground over UPS.

Back