Radio not holding SiriusXM channel / sometimes changes to FM after being shut off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio not holding SiriusXM channel / sometimes changes to FM after being shut off

jdc28va

Reaction score
City, State
Vienna, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Platinum (Blue)
Callsign
KK4AIB
2020 Platinum.

Starting a few months ago, my Explorer stopped holding the SiriusXM channel it was left on when we turn the vehicle off. Sometimes, it switches to the default SiriusXM SID channel ("0", I think), and sometimes it switches to an FM station (107.3). When this happens, our preset channels remain, but the SiriusXM setting for "Preset Pages" goes back to the default of "2" from the "3" we had it on. What's strange is, when I put it back to "3", it correctly recalls all the preset channels we had on the third page.
When you turn the ignition off for just a couple hours, say when going to out to eat, this problem doesn't happen. Only when the Ex is off for long periods, like overnight.

We mentioned this last time we had it in for maintenance at the dealer, and the dealer did some kind of reset. It didn't fix the problem. I updated the Sync version via wifi and did a hard reset, and that also did not fix the problem.

I'm wondering if the battery is starting to go bad. I've read here that Sync can be pretty sensitive to a battery that's starting to fail. The battery is just under 4 years old, but I know COVID lockdowns were rough on batteries with less driving and much shorter trips. Though, I did put both our vehicles on trickle chargers at least once a week throughout the lockdown period.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your SYNC updated to 23188? If not that may be the problem.

2020 Platinum.

Starting a few months ago, my Explorer stopped holding the SiriusXM channel it was left on when we turn the vehicle off. Sometimes, it switches to the default SiriusXM SID channel ("0", I think), and sometimes it switches to an FM station (107.3). When this happens, our preset channels remain, but the SiriusXM setting for "Preset Pages" goes back to the default of "2" from the "3" we had it on. What's strange is, when I put it back to "3", it correctly recalls all the preset channels we had on the third page.
When you turn the ignition off for just a couple hours, say when going to out to eat, this problem doesn't happen. Only when the Ex is off for long periods, like overnight.

We mentioned this last time we had it in for maintenance at the dealer, and the dealer did some kind of reset. It didn't fix the problem. I updated the Sync version via wifi and did a hard reset, and that also did not fix the problem.

I'm wondering if the battery is starting to go bad. I've read here that Sync can be pretty sensitive to a battery that's starting to fail. The battery is just under 4 years old, but I know COVID lockdowns were rough on batteries with less driving and much shorter trips. Though, I did put both our vehicles on trickle chargers at least once a week throughout the lockdown period.

Thoughts?
I don’t think it’s your battery… You can give SiriusXM a call and they will send a new signal to your vehicle. Maybe that will help. Either way, I hope you fix the problem

I don’t think it’s your battery… You can give SiriusXM a call and they will send a new signal to your vehicle. Maybe that will help. Either way, I hope you fix the problem
Thanks. Easy enough to give that a try.

Is your SYNC updated to 23088? If not that may be the problem.
When I look at the "About SYNC" screen, it says:

SYNC 3, Software Version: 3.4
Build 22251_PRODUCT
Ford Motor Company

I assume that's the number you're referring to, and that means I'm on build 22251 and not at 23088?

What's weird is when I set it for auto update, and touch "Check for Updates", it does a check and says I'm up to date and lists today's date. Is there a way to manually update it to 23088?

Build 22251_PRODUCT
Ford Motor Company

I assume that's the number you're referring to, and that means I'm on build 22251 and not at 23088?

What's weird is when I set it for auto update, and touch "Check for Updates", it does a check and says I'm up to date and lists today's date. Is there a way to manually update it to 23088?
22251 is the version that caused issues for a lot of owners. Try going to https://www.ford.com/support/sync-maps-updates/ and enter your VIN number. It should show that a new version is available (23188) Then you need to download the file to a flash drive and follow the directions to update your Explorer. Once that is done it will most likely solve this issue for you. If you any questions feel free to ask.

This has been discussed ad nauseum on the Sync forums. It needs to be updated to 23188 not a new battery or APIM! 22251 caused about a dozen different problems for different owners. I had them for over 5 months. The free software update takes less than 30 minutes and is guaranteed to fix your problems. Not a new anything installed!

USB update complete with no issues. Now we'll see if it fixes my problem!

Keep us posted. Pretty that will solve this issue for you.
Fixed it! As a result of this issue and thread, I checked the Sync version in my 2019 Ranger, which was also set to auto update, but apparently wasn't (still had a 2019 version of Sync). I updated the Ranger as well via USB, and the upgrade addressed one of my frustrations with the 2019 information cluster... the small "entertainment" screen to the right of the speedometer used to only show the SiriusXM channel, but not the song and artist. With this upgrade, it now shows the SiriusXM channel, artist, and song playing :)

Fixed it! As a result of this issue and thread, I checked the Sync version in my 2019 Ranger, which was also set to auto update, but apparently wasn't (still had a 2019 version of Sync). I updated the Ranger as well via USB, and the upgrade addressed one of my frustrations with the 2019 information cluster... the small "entertainment" screen to the right of the speedometer used to only show the SiriusXM channel, but not the song and artist. With this upgrade, it now shows the SiriusXM channel, artist, and song playing :)
Did your vehicle also turn the audio 'on', after you turned it off before turning the vehicle off? mine started turning the audio back on, to an FM radio pre-set station, rather than back to SIRIUS when it left off; and even turning the audio on upon starting the vehicle is odd when I turned it off.

Did your vehicle also turn the audio 'on', after you turned it off before turning the vehicle off? mine started turning the audio back on, to an FM radio pre-set station, rather than back to SIRIUS when it left off; and even turning the audio on upon starting the vehicle is odd when I turned it off.
The prior SYNC version caused all sorts of issues. Do you know what version you are on? The latest is 23188 and that has solved a lot of problems.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
A few members have had the issue you are describing. I never bother turning mine OFF as I would only have to turn it back ON the next time.
As Dale mentioned update 23188 fixed several issues. Check to see which version you have and update if required to see if it makes a difference.

Peter

The prior SYNC version caused all sorts of issues. Do you know what version you are on? The latest is 23188 and that has solved a lot of problems.
Ford site said that I Sync3 Generation; version 3.4.22251. It did say I have an update needed. I downloaded the update to my re-formatted USB (formatted to exFAT for Sync3). It downloaded a zipfile. Is that what you got? Will try to install that update in my vehicle as soon as I'm off work. I hope it works. I had issues with our SYNC and screen a few months ago, which FORD fixed with new module. I don't want to mess that up for sure!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
A few members have had the issue you are describing. I never bother turning mine OFF as I would only have to turn it back ON the next time.
As Dale mentioned update 23188 fixed several issues. Check to see which version you have and update if required to see if it makes a difference.

Peter
thats what mine started doing out of the blue recently. if it was turned off, it would be on - an FM channel, when i turned the car back on. If i left it on (a SIRIUSXM channel), it would still be on - but would switch to an FM channel. So annoying. I had issue with my screen and SYNC a few months ago, and FORD had to replace the entire module and do updates. when did this last update publish do you know?

Ford site said that I Sync3 Generation; version 3.4.22251. It did say I have an update needed. I downloaded the update to my re-formatted USB (formatted to exFAT for Sync3). It downloaded a zipfile. Is that what you got? Will try to install that update in my vehicle as soon as I'm off work. I hope it works. I had issues with our SYNC and screen a few months ago, which FORD fixed with new module. I don't want to mess that up for sure!
The zip file is what you need. Unzip it and copy to a flash drive and you should be set to install it. Install took about 20 minutes for me if I remember right. pretty sure the update will help you as 22251 is the version that was causing a lot of issues. Keep up posted and if you have any questions let us know.

Build 22251_PRODUCT
Ford Motor Company

I checked my explorer last night and it said it was up to date. i even did an update and it said same on 1/3/24 - to version 22251. it wont offer up the update that ford owner site also said i needed - which is version 23188. i went online and downloaded the zipfile to my usb and inserted it to my car. my car recongized the usb but i couldn't figure out how to get anything to happen - nothing updated from the zipfile. i'm going to have to take it to the dealership to do, sadly.

I checked my explorer last night and it said it was up to date. i even did an update and it said same on 1/3/24 - to version 22251. it wont offer up the update that ford owner site also said i needed - which is version 23188. i went online and downloaded the zipfile to my usb and inserted it to my car. my car recongized the usb but i couldn't figure out how to get anything to happen - nothing updated from the zipfile. i'm going to have to take it to the dealership to do, sadly.
Did you unzip the file you downloaded? If not, that is why it didn't work.

As Dale pointed out, the file must be downloaded to your computer first and then unzipped and transferred to a USB drive. It is all laid out on the download instructions. I believe this is what the file should look like. NU5T-14G381-AD.zip
When I had that file downloaded to my computer I just right-clicked on it and then chose "open with" and selected Windows Explorer.

Peter

My bronco is doing this. If I have it on sirius when i turn it off it either goes to fm or a default sirius channel. but if i turn if off before turning my bronco off, it goes to am. How do i fix this. its a 2023 outer banks bronco.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My bronco is doing this. If I have it on sirius when i turn it off it either goes to fm or a default sirius channel. but if i turn if off before turning my bronco off, it goes to am. How do i fix this. its a 2023 outer banks bronco.
Update, update, update... The Sync software to the latest version, 23188 and all of your problems will disappear. I guarantee it! Been there, done that after suffering through it from April to September of last year, when the update was released... Downloaded and installed in less than 1 hour with a USB stick! Wait unless the Bronco is Sync 4 which I think it might be then your latest version is probably a different number than our Sync 3. Just make sure you're on the latest software version. Ours was a flaw in the previous update which was 22251. Your problem is the same. Your temporary file folder gets filled up and you run out of memory. That's when all the problems you described and others start to appear.

Back