RockRangerII the build up. | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RockRangerII the build up.

After loosing my last ranger a bit over a year ago I finally got onther one to replace it. The truck I am starting with is a 1993 ranger 4X4 xl standard cab short bed. It is pretty much a bare bones truck. No AC no cruise and a manualt t case. It also has a 4.0 and a 5 speed with 3.73 and an open rear diff. When I purchased the truck it came with a 2.5" rancho lift 31" bfg AT tires on aluminum rims.

I have had the truck around 3 months now and have put about 3000 miles on it sofar. Over that time I have noticed a few things about it. When they installed the lift instead of installing longer brake lines they installed limit straps that limit down travel to about 1" from ride height and also removed the sway bar. They also didnt lift the rear at all and it has a serous case of butt dragging.

Attachments

• ranger.jpg
    ranger.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 3,920

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the coolest is when everything works, its a PITA to get it all there but once it does its cool :) I am SO close on the BII...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

RockRanger said:
attachment.php

do you still have a bigger picture of those demensions?

I dont have it anymore :( I have no idea where it ended up. Probably got tossed out. All I did was use a square, a tape measure, and a bit of geomitry to figure it out. I did end up making it to tall and had to cut it down an ind or so to get it to fit under the bed. A 1" body lift sure would make it fit much nicer. It is something that I have considered adding to my truck. After my trip to maob it did hit a few times when going over stuff. Most of them were pretty much optional lines that I knew I was going to hit on.

RockRanger said:
I dont have it anymore :( I have no idea where it ended up. Probably got tossed out. All I did was use a square, a tape measure, and a bit of geomitry to figure it out. I did end up making it to tall and had to cut it down an ind or so to get it to fit under the bed. A 1" body lift sure would make it fit much nicer. It is something that I have considered adding to my truck. After my trip to maob it did hit a few times when going over stuff. Most of them were pretty much optional lines that I knew I was going to hit on.

well, im actually running a 3inch body lift, so i know clearance isnt an issuse...

I wasnt sure how much larger you made it then the tank or if you was a very snug fit

mine ended up very snug. I had to bend the edges of the tank in a bit to make it all fit. Then I used the plumbers straping to hold the tank in.

Spent a bit of time on it today toding some running around collecting parts. I got the speedo to work :D A speedo cable off an aerostar is about 6" longer then a ranger one ad bolts right in. Mine came off a 91 in the bone yard. They are available new for around 20-25 bucks from napa and others. However they were specia order everywhere so it was a few days wait. I went to the pick and pull so I could double check that it would work. It would. So if you do a doubler order up an aerostar speedo cable a week before you need it so you have it when you are ready.

I also found a knob for the shifter. It is a plastick knob from Napa for like 7 bucks. uses a 3/8 fine thread bolt. I just welded a bolt on the end of my shifter and it was ready to go. If I had a torch and 3/8 tap my shifter could have been much nicer.

Started on my bumper. I was determined to get the best approck angle I could get so that ment getting the winch behind the bumper. Did a bit of hacking and this is what I came up with. Also a side view of the approch angle I have. Also the grill fits back in with little if any triming. I can get my hand back inside to flip from free spool to in gear as well. Still need to figure out where to mount the control box.

Attachments

• truck 001.jpg
    truck 001.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 702
  • truck 002.jpg
    truck 002.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 729

Then I set up DB1's bender that I borrowed too long ago and feel bad for keeping it for so long. Started bending some tube. Im still trying to figure out this bender thing. Hopefully I will figure it out eventually. Hope to add more to it tommorow and start on the tcase skid plate.

Attachments

• truck 004.jpg
    truck 004.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 564
  • truck 005.jpg
    truck 005.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 567

The little box square is an angle piece going from the back of the lower tube to the back of the winch plate. I picked up some 6"6" triangle gussets today to help support it. All the plate is 1/4" It is what I had at the house so I used it.

Not overspray. It is fiberglass dust from trimming the body to get the winch to clear. I had to trim alot to make it fit. Once I pull it out to paint it I will probably trim more. There are a few spots where I have about 1/8" of clearnce from body to winch.

Well it looks good. I don't think I could get mine that far back. But I'll try. :D :p

Looks like you're a bending pro too!

section525 said:
Well it looks good. I don't think I could get mine that far back. But I'll try. :D :p
I think you have a transmission cooler to move :D

Over-rated.

Yup pretty much. a bit of a mix. I dont have a photo editing program on my computer to draw with. Even if I did I wouldnt know how to use it :D . Im hoping to get it finished up tommorow. Hopefully get it painted as well.

If I have time I want to get started on my new tcase skid plate.

Nice work Matt:chug: That sucker is really stuffed in there!

Looks really cool Matt ;) Don't worry about the bender, i've got enough things going on with my truck to keep me busy for awhile.

Worked some more on the bumper. It is pretty much done. I am just waiting on some clevis mounts that I ordered that wont be here for a few weeks. I took it over to my paint booth which is much cooler then section525 has :D and gave it a shot of flat back. On the back you can see how I gusset it to give the winch plate some more strengh. This bumper bolts to the factory bolt holes. You can also see the area I had to cut to get the winch in behind the grill.

Attachments

• truck 002.jpg
    truck 002.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 548
  • truck 001.jpg
    truck 001.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 529
  • truck 003.jpg
    truck 003.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 538

While I was letting the bumper dry I started on the tcase skid plate. I have some 1/4" angle on the frame rail. Then I am boxing it with 1.25" square tubing. I will be plating and gusseting it to make it stiffer and stonger. Also UPS stopped by with my diff covers from greatlake offroad. Need to get some bolts and I can install them. At the same time I will install my aussie locker that has been sitting in the closet for 4 months for my 8.8 diff.

Attachments

• truck 004.jpg
    truck 004.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 542
  • truck 005.jpg
    truck 005.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 543

Back