Thanks: Forum solved my front bearing noise problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gerryjohnbarry

Reaction score
City, State
Mckinney Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 explorer
Long time lurker here, just wanted to give a shout out to say thanks for all the good info on his forum!:)
I had a noise coming from the front end, I suspected the hub on the driver's side, and with tests and diagnosis tips from this forum I was able to narrow it down to the Driver's side front hub. I Followed a you tube video, removed and replaced the hub (Napa part PGB PBR930456 $135), followed the recommended torque settings, and put everything back together..... Noise disappeared.
My Explorer is a 2006 4wd Eddie bauer with 87K miles, My symptoms were noise coming from the front end, especially noticeable at lower speed, when turning slightly to the left. The test which made the decision for me was free spin of the wheel when Explorer was jacked up, both drivers and passengers sides spun freely, but the drivers side slowed down faster than passenger side, and the driver's side made a subtle low frequency continuous noise while spinning, as opposed to the passenger side which was quieter. Both sides made the "shhh-shhh-shh" sound of brakes touching the disc during rotation.
Both sides were tight when I tried to move the wheel up/down/left/ right when they were jacked up.
Again, thanks for the info.
Another tip: Auto Zone loaner torque wrench to get the 180 ft-lbs on the axle nut saved me a bunch. I don't see a lot of potential uses for my case for a wrench like that, $100 deposit returned as soon as the wrench was returned made it easy.

Back