Solved - The key is in the ignition but I still get a chime. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved The key is in the ignition but I still get a chime.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Icuff4cash

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 aerostar awd
tonight after a quick Cruz my key chime would not stop chiming. The chrome ring is spinning with out the key. If I touch the ring it starts to chime do I need to replace the whole unit key and ring or can I just fix the ring from spinning. I pulled the pos cable to stop the chime.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replace the ignition cylinder before it will not turn to the run position.

Fixed it was the easiest thing I did on the van. advance auto parts bought car craft so both stores are combined.there old school auto parts great to shop there . anyway $16.95 for lock and 2 keys.the van had an access hole on the bottom. i didnt have to pull cover.6" long 1/16 Allen wrench to push pin. turn key to run and it popped out.
Putting the new one was easy but scary ,the tag SAID DON'T TURN KEY PRE SET.mine wasn't I had to turn key 1/4 turn the cross did not line up once it did a 4 minute job. no more chimes . I did not get key redone they wanted $50. so I'll have 2 keys for now. passed smog check,it started to rain no more projects this weekend .

Thanks for posting this problem and solution! I've copied it to my files for future reference since these parts dont last forever. :)

Thanks for posting this problem and solution! I've copied it to my files for future reference since these parts dont last forever. :)
Check to see if you have the access hole. you have a #2 Philips under the tilt wheel lever.And one in front and behind the switch. the pin hole is between the 2 screwed right under the switch. if not you need to drop that cover. if your cover does don't have a slit above the tilt lever you will have to unscrew the lever. vice grip it screws out. but it was a 5 min job. the painting was getting worst. I have to pulled the c
able to stop it. my information guy Josh said do it before your switch goes then it big money and a head ach to get the switch out.
Good luck I had 154'000 on my van.

Back