Two post lift fails | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Two post lift fails

I really thought about all the pros and cons of two post and four post lifts before making a purchase. I had worked with both when I was a mechanic and never felt safe working under a two post lift. Sure you could use tall jack stands, but how often do you ever see shops using them under their lifts?

I started with one Bendpak 4 post lift which is large enough to handle our 3500 Ram Dually with a Cummins and wound up buying another less expensive 4 post lift, a Champion to use for storage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one of the things i do at work is process any autos that the pubic brings in (scrap yard, remove all fluids, cats, alum rims, and any goodies i happen to find, and theres LOTS lol). we have 2, 2 post lifts in the building. the first thing i do when the loader brings it in is lift it a foot off the ground, then try to rock the hell out of it. if it starts to move, then it come off and either gets re positioned, or taken out completely. its a little nerving sometimes when you have something thats rusted out above your head....

Once I have a truck on the lift (10k two post) I also setup a metal jack under one side as a backup safety, that way if something fails with the lift I at least have a way out or safe space
I check the torque on my lift to floor bolts once a year, nothing has moved from when we set the anchors

1-2’ off the ground I shake the truck make sure it is seated and secure on the lift outriggers, then proceed to lift higher

I don’t feel like getting crushed so it’s good to be cautious
This lift is perfect for rangers and suvs heaviest vehicle I lift is 07 FJ around 5000#

Two post lift can be used safely
4 post lift is nice too but much much harder to do suspension work
Ideally a shop would have one of each!

4 post lift is nice too but much much harder to do suspension work
Ideally a shop would have one of each!

Just need to get creative. I have one rolling jack and two air bag jacks so I can get all four tires off the ground on my four post lift. I can also lift the body with the air bags while leaving the suspension in full droop.

Amazon product ASIN B07WG4PPRJ

When I lived in Illinois a friend worked at a Mercedes dealership. He had a car on a two post rig and the frame collapsed from rust. He put his hand up as a reaction when it started to slip and it tore his hand all up. That evening he stopped by another friends house where we all hung out. I saw a red streak going up his arm from the wound. I told him to get his butt to the hospital ASAP because that was a sign of blood poisoning. :eek:

Two posts always make me nervous. When I was looking at lifts I was planning on a 2 post but adding places in the front and rear that I could pin a tall Jack to the floor.

Usually when a two post fails it’s because the lifting posts topple over, I have seen the tops of the posts tied into the ceiling on more than one occasion to help stop this, a brace of sorts

For every two post failure there are billions of successful lifts

Friend of mine has a truck repair facility up in MA. Here's what they use.

For those who don’t have accounts with creepy YouTube
NSFW YouTube :: Watch YouTube Videos Without Logging In

Seems the take always

If it starts to fall get the hell away, you ain’t going to save the car and you’re probably just going to get hurt/killed

Spread the arms out

Always think of the CG when adding or removing anything from a lifted vehicle

Back