Who sells this Door Striker Bushing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Who sells this Door Striker Bushing?

2000 Explorer XLT 2WD 4.0L SOHC JOB1 Engine. I've searched all of the parts houses... and online... but I cannot find Door Striker Bushings for the front doors. Everyone has the "Part Number 38424" kit that contains 2 bushings that fit the rear hatch. Nobody has bushings that fit the front doors. The bushing are:
7/16” ID - 9/16” OD - 13/16” L
Who sells the? Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DORMAN 703270
That's not the correct part. 703270 is a Hinge Pin & Bushing Kit, not a Door Striker Bushing. I'm looking for the Door Striker Bushing that fits the front doors, not the rear hatch.

sorry, when i hear door bushing thats what i think of
are these what you are looking for

DORMAN 38424

DORMAN 38445

if so, rockauto has them and they fit a lot of ford cars and trucks

DORMAN 38424
DORMAN 38445

Sorry, nut nope and nope.

- Dorman 38424 fits the rear hatch, but not the front doors.
- Dorman 38445 is a Door Hinge Pin And Bushing Kit.

I'm beginning to believe that nobody manufactures the bushings. Thus, I might have to purchase the complete door striker.

Sorry, nut nope and nope.

- Dorman 38424 fits the rear hatch, but not the front doors.
- Dorman 38445 is a Door Hinge Pin And Bushing Kit.

I'm beginning to believe that nobody manufactures the bushings. Thus, I might have to purchase the complete door striker.

Nobody makes them individually. The ID has to be within a few thousandths and so does the OD otherwise the bushing won't roll when the door is pulled open or the latch won't close over it. Done some measurements and looked around, it's not a big enough deal to invest in making them myself when I can just get the strikers for about $7 off Rock Auto. Plus it's something you would only have to do every 10 years or so.

If we are talking about the "plastic" bushings that go onto the door post mounted striker (retained with a big torx bolt I think) there are many of us here that have used "pex" (?) tubing ( the "new" plastic plumbing tubing) I think I used the 1/2" white colored stuff as it fit the retaining bolt well and still rotated slightly. I installed mine a couple years ago and they have worn slightly.

If we are talking about the "plastic" bushings that go onto the door post mounted striker (retained with a big torx bolt I think) there are many of us here that have used "pex" (?) tubing ( the "new" plastic plumbing tubing) I think I used the 1/2" white colored stuff as it fit the retaining bolt well and still rotated slightly. I installed mine a couple years ago and they have worn slightly.
@ptf18 - Just to clarify. Did you use the pex tubing on the passenger doors... or on the rear hatch... or both? Please advise. Thanks.

The Pex lines can be used on the driver and passenger doors, but not the rear hatch. As I recall.

Good luck.

BTR... I used the PEX on ALL 4 doors of my '02 S/T

I used PEX tubing on my doors and rear hatch. IIRC I cut as extra sliver out of the pieces for the rear hatch striker post so that it would snug up tighter.
Mine happens to be blue PEX instead of white. It's what I had on hand.

What size PEX tubing do you use on the passenger doors? I looked up the dimensions of PEX tubing and this is what I found:

PEX Tubing Size – OD – ID
3/8" 0.50" 0.36"
1/2" 0.63” 0.49"

friggin sweet dudes. We have a 02 trac needs door stricker bushings, Dorman Help! section bushings did not fit will look at pex!

sorry, when i hear door bushing thats what i think of
are these what you are looking for

DORMAN 38445

if so, rockauto has them and they fit a lot of ford cars and trucks

That Dorman 38445 is the correct door striker bushing, and it's the cheapest version available, from Rock Auto, $7ish is about right.

I haven't tried the PEX yet myself, I had measured it once at Lowe's, and bought a short piece. I have several spare Dorman bushings, I got many in an order from RA years ago.

The PEX looks to be the way to go if you make it fit right. I think that will last longer than the cheap plastic most bushings have been made of.

That Dorman 38445 is the correct door striker bushing, and it's the cheapest version available, from Rock Auto, $7ish is about right.

I haven't tried the PEX yet myself, I had measured it once at Lowe's, and bought a short piece. I have several spare Dorman bushings, I got many in an order from RA years ago.

The PEX looks to be the way to go if you make it fit right. I think that will last longer than the cheap plastic most bushings have been made of.
Just to clarify, Dorman 38445 isn't just the door striker bushing by itself. It's the entire door lock striker assembly (which includes the bushing). Given no one sells only the bushing by itself, many owners resort to buying the entire assembly, removing the bushing from the assembly, and installing the bushing into the OEM door striker.

friggin sweet dudes. We have a 02 trac needs door stricker bushings, Dorman Help! section bushings did not fit will look at pex!
38424 is available from several sellers... Dorman, Needa, HELP!, etc. Not every seller labels it correctly. More specifically, they label it as a "door striker bushing kit." Thus, buyers purchase it thinking that it will fit the passenger doors. However, it only fits the rear hatch, NOT the passenger doors.

I just bought a 5-foot piece of PEX tubing at Home Depot for $1.86. It's labeled "1/2 inch x 5 feet." They had it in white, blue, and red. This weekend, I'm going to see if it fits the passenger doors.

Just to clarify, Dorman 38445 isn't just the door striker bushing by itself. It's the entire door lock striker assembly (which includes the bushing). Given no one sells only the bushing by itself, many owners resort to buying the entire assembly, removing the bushing from the assembly, and installing the bushing into the OEM door striker.

Yes, that is the only way anyone can buy the door striker bushing. You could remove the bushing to reuse the old striker components, but there is no appreciable difference in quality. I have replaced easily 20 of them in my many Ford vehicles. I discard the old one as scrap and bolt the new one on. It takes 2-3 minutes to replace one, including verifying/adjusting the door fitment.

You need to gently snug the bolt where you think it was before. Then barely close the door, watching how it moves as it contacts the new striker. If the door moves up or down from the ideal height, you need to loosen and re-snug(not really tight) the striker bolt. If the door is pulled in too much, or not enough, again just loosen the bolt enough to move it a little, and retest. It doesn't take long to adjust the door to where you like it the best, which also preserves the hinge pins/bushings.

The rear hatch bushings can be hell to adjust, many of these at 20+ years old have tweaked hatches, which means the hinges are loose or bent a little. That makes the bushings wear out much faster.

There seem to be several different threads on this subject.

I did a trail fix on my rear hatch using a old plastic shotgun shell. I cut and slotted it to fit, then taped it on with some black duct tape I had. Its still there after at least ten years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a trail fix on my rear hatch using a old plastic shotgun shell. I cut and slotted it to fit, then taped it on with some black duct tape. It's still there after at least ten years.
That was that super, extra, AAA, max-duty, 24/7/365 duct tape, right?

Back