Wiring dual oem alternators on 2000 4.0 sohc | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wiring dual oem alternators on 2000 4.0 sohc

Bajabenz

Reaction score
City, State
Mission viejo, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
00’ explorer xlt
Most of what I found when searching was people suggesting to just get a high output alternator rather than go to the trouble of making a bracket and installing a second one. Well I’ve got reasons as to why I’d prefer to use two of the 130 amp oem style rather than a single h.o. and I’ve already got them installed and working but wanted some outside input to see if I did the correct thing with the 2 wire plug. Should both alternators basically just have all the connections paralleled? Pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 not used, pin 3 to pin 3.
Thanks in advance

That sounds correct to me. Are you having any issues with the setup as is? Can you post a photo or video of the installation?

No issues but the battery light/ charging fault on cluster is illuminated most of the time now. I’m guessing that’s because the vehicle “thinks” it’s overcharging. It turns off if I’m pulling enough power to drop the voltage below 14.3-14.4. Even with the dual alternators, 3 agm batteries. 0g power & ground runs to all equipment it’ll still drop to 12.0 volts at aprox 1800-2000 rpm if I get to carried away with the volume knob. Much better than before when it would drop to 10.9v which is very hard on equipment

Pic of the setup is pretty 🤮 because that’s when I was still seeing how an if it was going to work. I’ll get some new ones now that I’ve cleaned it up

IMG_1627.jpeg

Back