1995 Explorer 4.0 cam position sensor/synchronizer. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer 4.0 cam position sensor/synchronizer.

anyone ever make a cam tool for the 94 ? the stabbing part is a little tricky makes me wonder if im off a tooth

another forum member writes

The crank sensor can only tell the computer when cylinder 1 is coming up to TDC, which is all you need to know for a batch fire injection system. To do sequential you need to know where the cam is as well so you can find the compression stroke.
The cam sensor tells the computer where the cam is so that compression stroke can be determined. If the signal is missing the computer has the ability to revert to a batch fire system. The problem is that the computer often doesn't notice the signal is missing until the engine has been running for 10 to 15 seconds, so during cranking it has to guess about where the engine is. This will result in erratic starting or poor running for the first few seconds until the CEL comes on and it starts doing batch fire.
When I first 4.0 swapped my 87 I had a 94 harness and computer but a 92 engine, so no cam sensor. I dealt with that for about six months before I was able to get a cam sensor and install it.

you could unscrew the sensor make some kind of rig at the mark then stab it but what would I make it out of the window type has a draw back

Back