• Register Today It's free!

1996 V8 AWD Explorer Vibration

cobra2b

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 V8 AWD
I have a 96 AWD V8 explorer that has a vibration above 68mph. Engine RPM is about 2k RPM. The engine has about 190,000 miles on it.

I've replaced the following parts:
Transmission
Transfer case
Front Hubs
2 sets of tires.
Replaced U-joints in the rear driveshaft.
Removed the front Driveshaft.
Replaced the driver side upper ball joint (and arm). All other ball joints were good and the alignment shop was able to align it without any problems just replacing the one ball joint.

I've inspected the half shafts and they feel fine.

Any ideas on what I should look at next?

Could be your front brake rotors are warped. I had a 93 Sable that had this happen. Couldn't figure out what was causing the vibration at highway speeds..replaced and balanced the front tires, new struts...nothing. Once I had the rotors machined though it was smooth as silk. Good luck.

The half shafts are a concern. But there is no good way to isolate them and take them out of the equation without replacing them. But as a suggestion, I had the exact same problem on my AWD at the same speed. I really figure it's a planetary in the trans or transfer case. But just for grins and giggles, I replaced the trans mount with a new factory Ford mount. The vibration is 99% gone.

vibration

I even took the half shafts out of the axle, and used a big bolt to hold the hub section together and drove it and the vibration was still there.
The trans mount sounds like a good idea.
I was thinking I'd replace the engine mounts and Damper next.

I took my front driveshaft down to get new u-joints put in so i can put it back in after not having it in for about a year and I found out that the CV in it is destroyed. So now I'll need to pick up another one.

Back