2008 Ford Explorer 4.6 fuel pressure sensor problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Ford Explorer 4.6 fuel pressure sensor problems

razorcd

Reaction score
City, State
Mansfield, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Limite
I bought a 2008 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6 liter off my parents, they had it for 4 years no problems. Then got the po193 fuel pressure sensor code. They replaced the sensor all seemed fine. Then sell it to me within a day or two I get po182. Fuel Temperature code. I find out that is the same sensor as the pressure is done. I haven't found a wiring diagram for that sensor so I can verify anything or how to go about doing it. I have limited income can't afford a shop. Dad I both have auto backgrounds but not as good on the electrical diagnostics. We are so close after a heck of a time with all of this. I found fuel coming out of the vacuum side of the sensor. it was an aftermarket, so I bought a Motorcraft. It was doing great. Made a trip no issues whatsoever. Then went to my parents 40-minute drive all good, until I came back. I barely got a mile down the road. It started surging and fighting me to accelerate. Black smoke, running rough. I turned around went back to my parents. Dad came out and scanned it 5 codes. P2196, p2198, p0300, P0191, po182. I am beyond frustrated at this point. Everything we saw online was to change o2 sensors. Replace them all of the wring looks fine on this motor. Of course, that didn't work. This is now spanning over days no vehicle. Neighbor brings down a more sophisticated scanner. Thought something was going on with the coils or injectors. Another day passes he brings a tool to check them all good. Meanwhile one bank gas-soaked spark plugs so dad changed those. He had to clean the o2 sensors running so rich. I mentioned the fuel driver module but really not having issues starting just running really bad. They circled back to the last thing I did was replace the fuel pressure sensor with a motor craft one. The fuel temp was reading 267 degrees! Unplugged the fuel pressure sensor smooth out temp would drop. Plug it in started running rough again. So after all this time it right back where we started. The thing we are trying to figure out before just buying a 3rd sensor. Testing the connector. I can't find a wiring diagram or how to check it correctly. Three green wires and one black. The one green wire has a white stripe. One is solid green one and one is green with a black stripe believe. I think the green with the white stripe would be the 12v but I am not sure which is the signal. Most checks I have found talk about a three not 4 wires. It runs fine with the sensor unplugged. It says it will be limited though plus put the light on all the time I don't want to do that. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

20231022_165940.jpg

Back