4.0 ohv rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.0 ohv rebuild

My 96 4.0 ohv is dieing. She has little power left in her and with 200,000 miles on it, it's understandable. So time for a rebuild. Many ideas are going through my head about what to do. I want the 422 cam pretty bad, but as a college kid, I'm on a budget. So most likely (unless I win the lottery) I was looking at the 410 cam and just going with an "extremely" mild rebuild. I was looking at the rpm machine master rebuild kit: http://www.rpmmachine.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=777 along with the 410 cam and boring the block out .20 or .30. The RPM rebuild kit includes Pistons, Rings, Gaskets, Cam Bearings, Rod Bearings, Main Bearings, Oil Pump, Timing Set and Wrist pin Bushings where applicable. If doesn't include the cam, lifters, or the timing set guides or tensioners. From reading tons of opinions on here, it seems that the heads on explorers aren't that great, prone to cracking. What about after market heads from Alabama Cylinder Heads? Worth the money? As for lifters, should they be replaced during the rebuild with the Sealed Power ZHT2244 lifters? On the kit, lifters can be added for $241. As for valves, should they be replaced? If so, SI vales or sealed power? I'm new to engine work so any comments or suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. My girlfriend's dad will be helping me on the rebuild and he has done plenty of engine rebuilds. He is pretty knowledgeable on engines, just not this one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

theres 2 ohv builds going on right now, im doing a mild one with a 410. brandon did the 422 and hes done now. and theres a few others that have already rebuilt theirs.

read up on my thread. im no where near done but youll see what ive bought so far atleast.
basicly; 410 cam, melling m328 oil pump(keep the rockers/pushrods lubricated from wear), sealed power valve springs(reuse old retainers and new valve guides), si sev-2027 & sev-2028 valves, 90/93tm heads from eq on ebay, smithbros pushrods(size not known yet), sealed power rockers.
yes the heads are more then likely gonna crack on you if theyre factory. if it was ever rebuild they might be ok. but id go with new ones. mine were $114 each, $278 shipped i think
cant tell you anything for the bottom end, i dont have it out to look at it yet for any bad parts. my lifters should be fine, theyre too expensive anyway.

if you go for the 422, read brandons, its a lot more stuff, 95tm heads, dual springs and new clips, p&p ing to help more.

jd4242 will be in here eventualy and he'll have a lot more info on it, but for mild on an eh-budget, mine is going that route

ps. i fewl oh so specihal for beating jd to the punch on an ohv question lol

yeah i followed brandon's build and read jd's as well.. both have a ton of good info on there. i want to get other's opinions on which route i should take and which parts are the best quality.

If you need any OHV parts, or want my old block and everything else so you can build a completely separate engine and keep your explorer daily drivable, I can help you out.

I've got an extra block w/ everything still in it, set of new heads (they need to and CAN be fixed as they were factory defects, for less than the cost of new heads.. I'll just give them to you as they became free to me) and I have extra one of pretty much everything else lol. Like I said you can pretty much, except for a few cheap parts here and there, build a completely separate engine with everything I have.

Just PM me if your interested and we can work out a deal, I'll deliver everything.

e-fans

also, e-fans... worth it or not? I was looking at the Flex 180 for $300 and the Flex 398, but the Summit G4904 16" that pulls up to 2,010 cfms for $85. The 180 pulls up to 3,300 and the 398 pulls up to 2,500 for $130. I guess you get what you pay for. Opinions and info on e-fans and particular brands would be helpful.

if u want to do an efan, go to the jy and just pull an efan out of a taurus. they have 2 speeds, high and low. i've got mine wired to the low speed with an adjustable temp control switch from advance auto. i've got about $12 in my fan and $25 in the switch.. and it flows more than most of those aftermarket units. just my .02

if u want to do an efan, go to the jy and just pull an efan out of a taurus. they have 2 speeds, high and low. i've got mine wired to the low speed with an adjustable temp control switch from advance auto. i've got about $12 in my fan and $25 in the switch.. and it flows more than most of those aftermarket units. just my .02

How did you wire your fan? Ever had any problems with it?

No never had an issue, the wiring is laid out by the Efan controller switch u can buy at advance auto

I have burned up 3 of those switches from advance,they are pos!!unles you have it wired to an 80amp relay after the pos switch

are you running the high speed side or the low speed side? i'd venture to say you are running the high speed side, which yes, that will burn them up

are you running the high speed side or the low speed side? i'd venture to say you are running the high speed side, which yes, that will burn them up

neither one.i run a 8" fan on my tranny coolers witch is control by one of those switches but only pulls 5 amps at start up.i run a HHR fan as my main fan and it only pulls like 12amps or 18amps at start up and thats they fan that has burned them up.i have also burned up both of these
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16749/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-31149/

the one i run now and haven't had any problems yet
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-16779/

hm idk i've never had an issue with this controller, ran an imperial fan for awhile, and ive running the low speed side of a taurus fan now

Hi there

theres 2 ohv builds going on right now, im doing a mild one with a 410. brandon did the 422 and hes done now. and theres a few others that have already rebuilt theirs.

read up on my thread. im no where near done but youll see what ive bought so far atleast.
basicly; 410 cam, melling m328 oil pump(keep the rockers/pushrods lubricated from wear), sealed power valve springs(reuse old retainers and new valve guides), si sev-2027 & sev-2028 valves, 90/93tm heads from eq on ebay, smithbros pushrods(size not known yet), sealed power rockers.
yes the heads are more then likely gonna crack on you if theyre factory. if it was ever rebuild they might be ok. but id go with new ones. mine were $114 each, $278 shipped i think
cant tell you anything for the bottom end, i dont have it out to look at it yet for any bad parts. my lifters should be fine, theyre too expensive anyway.

if you go for the 422, read brandons, its a lot more stuff, 95tm heads, dual springs and new clips, p&p ing to help more.

jd4242 will be in here eventualy and he'll have a lot more info on it, but for mild on an eh-budget, mine is going that route

ps. i fewl oh so specihal for beating jd to the punch on an ohv question lol

I was reading your post and since I've just cracked a head on mine, I'm wondering where you are getting yours for $114.00 is this just the heads only or instal ready. I've found then for $210. install ready so can't help but wonder.

Back