• Register Today It's free!

5.0 EFO component compatibility

JoshT

Reaction score
City, State
Middle Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ranger
Looks like I might be doing an engine swap in my '99 Ranger in the not too distant future. I know that the ideal donor would be a '99-'01 5.0 AWD Explorer, not having much luck finding something that checks all the boxes at a reasonable distance and/or favorable price.

I have the complete drivetrain from a '98 Explorer 5.0 2wd that I bought for another project over a decade ago. Project never happened, but the engine harness got hacked up for a standalone FEI system before it was abandoned.

I think the only major pieces I'd need to slot this into my Ranger are an engine harness, non return fuel rails w/ injectors (preferable to running a return), and a 4WD/AWD transmission.

I have spotted a 2000 Explorer 5.0L engine harness for sale on marketplace. Would this work in place of my butchered '98 harness, or would I need to get a matching ECU and/or sensors?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your 98 harness was from an engine that still had return fuel correct?
You sure it was a 98 model year?

I can answer your question easily if you can tell me

Does your 98 5.0 engine have a 3 wire or 2 wire cam position Sensor? (on the cam synchronizer)

The 2000 wiring harness will have a 2 wire sensor

If your 98 has a two wire sensor, then yes the 2000 harness is basically identical

If not then you could still make it work but may have a little bit of wiring to do, very little

I like your plan

Do you still have the old 98 pcm? Keys and pats stuff? The factory 98-01 computer will not run without the pats stuff that came from the same truck or at least with a tune to delete the pats

Getting the returnless fuel rail and injectors should not be too hard

I often have some of these parts around if you get in a bind

I can answer your question easily if you can tell me

Best answers I can give are below.

Your 98 harness was from an engine that still had return fuel correct? Yes. Well, ii was from an Explorer that still had return fuel since I had the whole thing at one point.

You sure it was a 98 model year? 09/98 build date. Pretty sure that's a 98, but with Ford's penchant for mid year changes, it wouldn't surprise me if there's some 99 stuff there.

Does your 98 5.0 engine have a 3 wire or 2 wire cam position Sensor? (on the cam synchronizer)
Don't know I'll have to see if I can find the sensor, or dig out the harness and look it over. Been several years since I last looked at it.

I like your plan My preference is still to find a complete donor, just not having much luck at this time. Trying to open other avenues if I continue to strike out.

Do you still have the old 98 pcm? Yes

Keys and pats stuff? The factory 98-01 computer will not run without the pats stuff that came from the same truck or at least with a tune to delete the pats

No, but... Back when I was going to run this standalone I picked up another ECU with the same code, but had pats disabled already. I also have the ability to use ForScan, and I understand that can be used to disable and/or reprogram PATS. Still need to do some more digging to figure out exactly what settings need to be changed, but should be able to reprogram the Explorer ECU to the existing PATS in the truck.

Getting the returnless fuel rail and injectors should not be too hard Already picked up a fuel rail and stashed it away somewhere. I do need the injectors which the previously mentioned harness claims to include. I figure that if I'm going to build the engine I'm going to need bigger injectors anyway, so kind of waiting to see what happens there.

I often have some of these parts around if you get in a bind Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

I'll post an update later when I figure out what cam sensor my engine has. Might be tomorrow, going to try to finish a little wiring and update project on the F-100 first. Given that it doesn't have AC, a power window kit should make it a little more comfortable to drive.

FWIW, I wouldn't be against finding a 2000 ECU and changing the cam sensor to match, I'd prefer to use the parts I've got though. Biggest issue with doing that is I wouldn't have the ECU with PATS disabled, but as previously mentioned I should be able to reprogram it to match using ForScan.

0413111659c.jpg

with that build date I'm 99.75 percent sure its a 2 wire
thus the 2000 harness is 100% same as your old hacked up 98 harness
no real changes 98-01, as far as the drivetrain wiring is concerned

factory returnless injectors 1999-2001 explorer / mounty 5.0 are 64psi fuel rail pressure, 19# fuel delivery rating
good up to 260-280 hp or so i believe, but will be running at full duty cycle
21 or 24# injectors or larger will require tuning
The dudes will correct me if I my number are off slightly... most of my conversions start off with getting the factory 302 or mild 302 up and running, with junk yard parts..........not much tuning needed... not yet. These days it is more affordable and way more DIY, our PCM's have been hacked! HOORAY!

seems like you have a good handle on things!
I have done many 5.0 conversions from 84-2007 ranger based vehicles, so if you need to tap my brain you can find me here!

Excellent reply! It is nice to have someone actually answer your questions hahahahaha

with that build date I'm 99.75 percent sure its a 2 wire
thus the 2000 harness is 100% same as your old hacked up 98 harness
no real changes 98-01, as far as the drivetrain wiring is concerned

Went out and looked this afternoon. The cam sensor has three terminals in the plug, so I would assume three wire sensor.
So I guess I'd have two options to use the 2000 harness. I assume that I could add the third wire to the harness and use it with the 98 ECM and cam sensor. Or I acquire a '99-'01 ECU and swap in a two wire sensor.

Not sure which would be the easier/better option. Almost tempted to just get the harness and figure out the rest later. IIRC the guy was asking $100.

Hoping that I get better news about the current engine and can afford to wait for the right donor. If not, it'll probably be after new years before I start swapping, so I've still got a month or two for something to appear. I've got other vehicles so it's not like I'm hurting for the Ranger right now.

The dudes will correct me if I my number are off slightly... most of my conversions start off with getting the factory 302 or mild 302 up and running, with junk yard parts..........not much tuning needed... not yet. These days it is more affordable and way more DIY, our PCM's have been hacked! HOORAY!

Excellent reply! It is nice to have someone actually answer your questions hahahahaha

I hear you on that, but I'm not wanting to have the engine out twice. With the desired build of the truck, I know I won't be happy with the stock 5.0L, but time and necessity will determine what happens there. If I do end up with another complete donor, I'll have a apare engine to build and swap in at a later date.

3 wire dang of course

So yes you have the earlier harness
The 2000 harness can still work but will not be 100% plug and play
You can convert to the 2 wire cam synchro
Also you would need to swap all 8 injector connectors for the later returnless style
There are a few other very minor changes (moving pin locations)
$100 not a bad deal if it’s complete and not cut maybe he has some other parts with it
Like the cam synchro?

Back