• Register Today It's free!

Brakes/Caliper bolts

Buttsy

Reaction score
City, State
Papillion Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4WD XLS/2004 4WD XLT
Since I changed the front pads about a year ago, I've had to remove the caliper every 6 months (today for the 2nd time) due to a rubbing noise when applying the brakes. What I've found each time is that the caliper won't move and the grease on the caliper bolts has dried up/disappeared. I put a good deal of good quallity grease on, make sure the boots are in good condition, and tourque everything to specs. Once I clean and regrease the bolts, the noise is gone. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I'm doing the rears tomorrow for the first time and I don't want to have this same issue on the rear. The only other issue I've noticed is my brake fluid is extremely dark/probably contaminated so I'm bleeding the lines this week.

I have the same problem with my front passenger caliper...I bought mine used this past Sept and about a month or so ago I heard the dreaded bare metal shriek...when I took off the wheel and caliper I saw that the lower bolt was stuck and had worn it down to the metal...the whole time the breaking seemed fine and did not squeal or anything...mine was rusted in place even...I greased it up good and replaced the rubber boots (I found out the hard way no one has these in stock including the dealer)...have checked it a couple times and even though it was in working order I could tell that there is less of the grease and added more...so if anyone else has an idea I would like to know as well

Back