Bypass oil filtration - oil analysis | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bypass oil filtration - oil analysis

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
With the addition of the bypass oil filtration system, I plan to do frequent UOA and follow the condition of the oil religiously during the vastly extended OCIs..

The first step was a Virgin Oil Analysis ( VOA ) which enabled me to have a baseline to which to make future comparisons. This will be followed by UOAs with TBN and particle counts at various mileage intervals. I plan to sample at 3k, 5l, 7.5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, 25k, and so on.

I collected a sample of the Amsoil Series 200 0 w 30 ( Dead Link Removed ) directly from the bottle and sent it to Blackstone Labs ( Dead Link Removed ) for an VOA with a TBN ( see http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128747 ) determination.

The results are as follows:

ALUMINUM 0 0
CHROMIUM 0 0
IRON 2 4
COPPER 0 0
LEAD 0 0
TIN 0 0
MOLYBDENUM 0 5
NICKEL 0 0
MANGANESE 0 0
SILVER 0 0
TITANIUM 0 0
POTASSIUM 0 0
BORON 64 45
SILICON 4 5
SODIUM 0 2
CALCIUM 1722 3104
MAGNESIUM 598 229
PHOSPHORUS 822 905
ZINC 958 1033
BARIUM 0 0
[ first number is test oil value - second number is Universal Average ]

TBN 12.0

SUS
VISCOSITY
@ 210 ºF 63.9 56-64

Flashpoint F 430 >365

Water 0 0

Insolubles % 0 <0.6
[forst number is test oil value - second number is what oil should be ]

Lab comments: No problems showed up in this sample of virgin Amsoil 0W/30 oil. The viscosity was in the middle of the 30W range. The iron is probably from steel holding tanks and transfer equipment. Calcium and magnesium and detergent/dispersant additives, while phosphorus and zinc are anti-wear additives. No moisture or insolubles were found. The TBN read 12.0, quite high. We consider a used oil TBN of 1.0 or less to be too low. This oil is in serviceable condition and should do well in your engine(s).

Thanks Al, I always love scientific things and this should be a very useful thread as you progress. Thanks for doing this.... I mean WHO else in their right mind would send in virgin oil for analysis? (gotta love Al's comittment here!)

Blackstone labs does a very good job with their oil analysis. I've been using their services for several years now, especially with our race cars and tow vehicles.

I look forward to your results.

-B

I want to follow this. Good stuff..

Back