Clutch removal & Radiator Fan...9 blade or 10 blade??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch removal & Radiator Fan...9 blade or 10 blade???

explorerscope

Reaction score
City, State
Deland, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer 4D 4x4 auto
I am looking to replace my radiator fan and want to know what is the difference in the 9 blade and the 10 blade fans, and which should I go with to provide maximum cooling cause my engine over heats when idling(I figured the clutch is no good plus the fan is cracked up). Also, I cant seem to find a fan clutch tool from Autozone loan a tool that fits my fan clutch nut, its seems the smallest tool is a 36mm but its too big for the nut, anyone got any ideas on this, how I can remove the fan clutch? Its clockwise to loose the nut correct?

its for 93 ford ex 4x4 4WD

Thanks

If you need fan info, do a search, it has been discussed before; here's a short version:

Ford changed from the 9-blade to the 10-blade fan at some point; probably around 93 or so. The 9-blade fans were prone to cracking around the base of the blades. The 10 blade is also made of a more durable material, and there are also differences in the metal material sandwiched in the center of the fans. I know of no functional differences...perhaps the 10 blade moves more air but I wouldn't know.

Re: which way to turn the nut. Look at your fan shroud. There should be stamped into the plastic, the words, "Right-hand threads on fan clutch" or something like that.

I too have experienced AutoZone's "Ford Fan Clutch Removal Tool". About half the time it's a piece of junk, either wallowed out from people misusing the tool or the wrong size. O'Reilly's carries a similar tool, you might try them. And, short of that, you can do it the old fashioned way, and get a strap wrench (or old fan belt) and wrap it around the water pump pulley and use a long wrench to get into there.

I spent a long time trying to loosen the fan clutch the first time I did it on my current truck, it didn't want to budge. Invest in a can of PB Blaster penetrant to help you...

Usualy it is a right hand thread. that is the standard type thread. Turn counter clockwise to remove. But read the marking as it may be different.

Back