• Register Today It's free!

Daytime Running Lights

rcaffyn

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey shore
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Sport Trac
I picked up a used 2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin. The vehicle originally came out of Canada. It has DRL's and I am looking to disable them. Ford dealer told me that "Ford will not let the mechanics disable them". Local mechanic said he didn't see any options on his scanner to turn them off. I have seen two ways to deal with this, a software change or a rewire/removal of a module. Can somebody set me straight on this? I really hate having them on. rcaffyn@comcast.net

Our Expedition uses Ford-specific software to enable/disable DRL's. My Ford dealer has deactivated and reactivated them a time or two during an oil change at no charge. From what I understand its a Body Control Module (BCM) setting that requires Ford software, not OBD2 or any kind of scan tool. Not sure what all is involved with BCM replacement but seems to me driving to another dealer until you find a capable one would be easiest and cheapest.

DRL isn't US required, our BMW 5-series allows the user to activate/deactivate. Think your local dealer (service adviser) is the problem.

Late 90 and early to mid 2000's Fords acheived DRL via relays which could be removed and a jumper wire substituted. I think CANBUS technology replaced that method.

TM, thanks for your input. Was kinda thinking along those lines. Not sure why my dealer was being a d#@k about it. Rob.

Back