Driver side exhaust leak fixed (I think) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Driver side exhaust leak fixed (I think)

ROBinGa

Reaction score
City, State
Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
Last year I had new Cat assembly replaced on my 2003 4.6. My son drives the Explorer and I seldom do anymore. About 3-4 months ago I noticed one day as he started it up that it had a tick tick tick exhaust sound and could tell it was on driver side. It sounded like an old beater 70s Pontiac putting and chugging. It would somewhat calm down after a minute or so and I figured as the parts heated and expanded they sealed leak a bit. I feared that the exhaust manifold itself may have cracked or had failed. Before I took the Explorer in to have I checked I thought I would tighten the nuts at connection from Cat exhaust tubing and the manifold.

There are 2 studs at that flange that face towards rear of truck and then a 15mm nut on each stud secures the Cat exhaust pipe to the manifold. I used a long extension and 15 mm impact socket on my cordless impact and hit both nuts. They did both turn noticeably and tightened down. I cranked her up and back to nice and quiet with no exhaust leak sound anymore. For good measure I crawled back under and hit the passenger side nuts as well. Time will tell but it’s back to sounding normal again and quiet

Congrats. Need to be careful on those nuts--easy to round'em with an extension, especially with the oxygen sensor in the way. Had to cut one of those bolts and replace a manifold once due to this.

Back