how do i know if my 98 ex came with a towing package? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how do i know if my 98 ex came with a towing package?

it does not have a hitch on it. im wanting to wire it so i can pull a trailer on the bumper, and have lights on the trailer. i have seen " wiring kits " online, but they seem like they plug into a factory connector somewhere. i had a dodge van, and the wiring kit i got for it had connectors that plugged into each tail light on the van and had a plug for the trailer. im not seeing this for my ex, am i missing something? thanks in advance!

edit: google > me, apparently there is a plug under the drivers side rear bumper, just gotta get the harness now.

etrailer.com

Here is a link to etrailer, specifically to the wiring kits available for the '98 Explorer.
Note that there is 1 kit if you don't have the tow package, and another if you do.
Take a close look at the tow package wiring kit, as it shows pictures and even videos, showing where the direct plug-in port is located.
If you don't see that direct plug-in port, then you probably do not have the towing package, and would need to get the more expensive wiring kit, which (like you said) works by tapping into your lighting system.

Note that shipping is free for orders over $150. If you don't yet have a hitch, order it at the same time, and you can probably be right there for free shipping. I've purchased hitches, wiring kits, trailer wheel/tires, and never had a problem. Great prices, fast shipping, and great customer service.

Back