How to replace overhead console? 2004 Explorer 4.0L V6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace overhead console? 2004 Explorer 4.0L V6

1996B4000

Reaction score
City, State
Heathsville VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 B4000 LE
2004 Explorer overhead console is hanging on barely -- as best I can determine there's a bracket that attaches to the body with two screws then four clips on the bracket stick down into four slots on the console. Mine is hanging on by what seems to be one bracket. I can get the bracket from the dealer -- $57.00.

How do I get the console out -- just pull it down?

See attached photo -- console has reading light, rear a/c controls, sunroof switch.

Is the bracket really attached with only two screws or is there some trick to getting it down?

Why would it break?

What is broken -- the parts on the console or the matching parts on the bracket?

Thanks.

explorer overhead console.jpg

Shop manual was not much help, simply says remove console then disconnect electrical connections. It does not show any fasteners. I recall it having normal trim panel clips - I would pull firmly and slowly sliding fingers inside for support as space permits.

Shop manual was not much help, simply says remove console then disconnect electrical connections. It does not show any fasteners. I recall it having normal trim panel clips - I would pull firmly and slowly sliding fingers inside for support as space permits.
Thanks .. turned out to be a simple job. A plastic bracket mounts to the roof with two screws. At each corner of this bracket is a clip sticking down that match four rectangular holes in the interior of the console. According to what the Ford parts man told me, the plastic stalks holding the clips are bad to break. In fact, my overhead console was hanging on by one clip. I ordered the bracket from Rock Auto an popped the console off with on pull. The headliner is a small problem -- it's molded. I removed the anchors for the sun visors -- pop up a small rectangle of plastic on the visor anchor, remove a Philips head screw that's at the bottom of a deep hole in the visor anchor, and that gave enough flexibility to the headliner to pull out the old bracket, unplug on set of wires, put the new bracket in place, secure the two mounting screws, plug in the one disconnected plug, and pop the console onto the new bracket; replace the sun visor anchors and it's done.

Back