Lowering Kit Question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering Kit Question

Okay guys, I went with the suspension techniques (not in business anymore..think got bought out from Belltech) 1" drop coils for my '92. The tires bowed out a little. The rear end, I used the 2". blocks. Overall, ride was great! However, my best advice for all of you who wants to go lower; I'd go with the I-Beams, since it doesn't effect the front end stiffness as much. Also easier on the suspension parts and tires. As for the back. Leaf springs are hard to come by now for explorers, plus they run around like 200.00. The block are a lot cheaper. So if you like to drive thru automatic car washes or towing heavy loads, then go with the leaf springs.

Why would you lower a 4x4 explorer. The whole purpose of having a 4x4 is to beable to go off road. If any of ya'll want to drop a 4x4 then sell it and buy a 4x2. That will save u alot of money and they well have more power.

Just What I Think,
RU MAN

In Michigan 4whl drive is something you really like your wife & kids to have when the snow isflying and the county road commision has cut back on plows cause the millage did'nt pass or something. The rest of the time we like the sprotiness of a lowered and powered car that can also haul some wood or some other usefull large items.
And lookit they made an SUV just for me to fool with.

------------------
Bill Kemp 96 XLT 4x4 4. OHV

I was considering lowering my 94 Eddie Bauer but last night I was reading the reviews on the X-spec suspension kit that Explorer Express sells. The kit includes front and rear sway bars, Edelbrock IAS shocks and 1 3/8 inch lowering kit. They claim that lowering an older body style explorer is a bad idea and highly unrecommended. In the reviews they claim that they had lowered a 93 XLT and desipte all there efforts they could not control the "bounce factor" or generate a smooth riding vehical. Not even the almighty Edelbrock IAS's could control the bouncing.

Now I have read the two pages of post on lowering and it seems the only person who has attemped this with an older body style Explorer is Brian Green. I after looking at his Explorer on the features I see he now has a 6" suspension lift on it. So Brian is it true. Was the ride uncontrolable? I would really like to take a shot at this because I think that a smooth riding lowered older body style explorer can be produced.

------------------
James K
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N Drop In
Modified Air Box
Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back
Hypertech Module
http://www.geocities.com/expo1994/Expo1994.html?956247136430

Back