• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer ride height

OjJR

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 explorer XLS
Car leans to the drivers side, about 3/4 inch off (low) from passenger side. Drivers side 32.5 inches from ground to fender well. Passenger side 33.25 inches. Tried tightening the torsion bar nut two turns to raise, but after short drive to settle suspension in, ride was still at 32.5 inches. Wheels lifted of ground when adjustment. Does anyone know the proper ride height (factory setting for the 99 explorer 4 dr) and from what points is the measurements made.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, and the adjustment is not identical between vehicles, there isn't a magic standard height.

The alignment is affected greatly by altering the ride height, you need a new alignment every time you alter the torsion bar adjustments.

Also, the fenders(the body) do not set level perfectly when the chassis is level, minor variations are in all of them. Note that the suspension points should be made level when adjusting the torsion bars, and when the alignment is done.

Check the height from the ground, up to each front lower control arm bolt(bushing bolts). That's what should be equal side to side, to maintain equal handling left and right. I think the intended height is to have the LCA's level at ride height, which is close to what stock vehicles are. I suggest starting there, and see if that is a height you like. Just remember that the truck needs a new alignment after you settle on the best height. Regards,

Welcome, and the adjustment is not identical between vehicles, there isn't a magic standard height.

The alignment is affected greatly by altering the ride height, you need a new alignment every time you alter the torsion bar adjustments.

Also, the fenders(the body) do not set level perfectly when the chassis is level, minor variations are in all of them. Note that the suspension points should be made level when adjusting the torsion bars, and when the alignment is done.

Check the height from the ground, up to each front lower control arm bolt(bushing bolts). That's what should be equal side to side, to maintain equal handling left and right. I think the intended height is to have the LCA's level at ride height, which is close to what stock vehicles are. I suggest starting there, and see if that is a height you like. Just remember that the truck needs a new alignment after you settle on the best height. Regards,

Thanks for the reply. Just to make sure I understand correctly, you mean the lower control arm bushings where they fasten to the frame, correct? I did manage to dig out an old specification sheet I had since new and it indicated the "ride height" should be 6.7 inches, both front and back. I'll check what you suggested tomorrow. Again thanks.

That's an interesting height spec, but I do like that it specifies equal/level adjustment. Being level is the main thing, everyone takes advantage of the ability to alter the height to their preference. Given that link suggesting height being the distance from the bottom of the spindle, up to the LCA bolt, I'd guess for stock it'd be a few inches at most, 3-4" at most.

I've always measured from the LCA bolt to the ground. My first was my Mercury, and it came down the best(alignment still good) to about 8.5", but my 99 is close to 11" I think it was. Variances in the spindle machining tolerances determine how much change can be done and still get a good alignment. My new 98 couldn't be dropped below stock at all, even with camber washers installed.

The final height if you stray far from stock, will have to be decided at an alignment shop. If they cannot align it at the height you bring it to them with, they will have to raise or lower it to correct the camber specs, or else they'll tell you it wouldn't take a proper alignment.

Thanks SWS. Today I squared off the bolt heads on the LCA bolt so each contact point was parallel to the ground. I measured exactly ten inches from the bottom of the bolt head to the ground on the drivers side and almost 10 1/8 inches on the passenger side. Would you suggest leveling them off exactly or is less than an 1/8 inch close enough. I know an alignment will be necessary.

Your 1/8" difference from the LCA bolts is close considering 3/4" is the "acceptable" side-to-side measurement for the front from the fender wells. Weakened drivers side torsion bars and leaf springs are a result known as "Ranger or Gangsta lean" due to the fuel tank, driver, and battery imbalance. I'd leave it as is and have alignment checked. There's a chance the tech will need to adjust the front ride height to get camber and toe into spec anyway.

Also double check your front and rear stabilizer links. A broken one could cause the truck to lean on one side.

Back