• Register Today It's free!

2005 1 ton SAS sport trac thread

jonzer12

Reaction score
City, State
Sault Ste. Marie
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac
Finished this build in the spring and have been 4wheeling it all summer and fall this year with success. Still needs lots of armor, rock rails etc but so far, it has taken a beating. I have been offroading jeeps for years, but I sunk my old rig in a river last May and I was ready for something different. I wanted a frame, 4 doors and a short bed, but a body no wider than a Jeep. I looked at tacoma's, frontiers, and finally sport tracs. I wanted a 2nd gen v8 but I discovered that AWD models have too many electronics in the drivetrain to easily convert to a 2 speed transfer case. My next plan was to find a 2wd v8 model and run a divorced atlas transfercase but I later discovered that 2wd sport tracs were never sold in Canada. With covid in full swing I couldn't travel into the United States to pick up the truck I wanted to I switched my sights to a first gen. I actually puchased two 2005 adrenalines. I ended up building the silver one as it only had 120km on it (~ 80k miles)

First 2005 I bought, using it for parts as it had big miles on it and engine was full of sludge.

l-lKXeeoE_HpY2HuBxOAnlWGXr7e19i5PXFbCrY8lESc=w2400.jpg

After that I found the low milage Silver 05 which I then proceeded to cut all of the IFS out of. I don't take a lot of pictures so I have nothing of the build stage. I built a high pinion 60 and sterling 10.25 out of a 90's F-350 using a Jeep TJ style artec truss. I put a factory Elocker from a 2011+ superduty into the old 10.25 housing with 5.38s. I had wanted an Eaton E for the front 60 but with Covid going on there was not one anywhere in North America that I could find so I left the front open. 5.38's and a disc brake conversion for the rear and the axles were done.
_DWOLnM-p-spD0uZU-y4L6xSeVQG3JpaAXJjpWxbZCXw=w2400.jpg

First mockup.
7tAOB40Natsz2QyfCKgPWoQbJXceVt4gyQAWG6jUKbOc=w2400.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The steering was a pain, I ended up with using a trail gear toyota steering box, after trying a JK steering box with no luck. I adapted the pump to -6 AN and ran all new lines. I made my own drag link and tie rod using 1.25 1/4 wall DOM and GM 1 ton TREs. I used a PSC cooler and Ram assist cylinder I had left over from my jeep.
Eventually it rolled out of the garage under its own steam.
MHShH6OGeSIhYCkBac_W52ERm9e8Y8I_zdgFEjeM1Hsc=w2400.jpg

PyA5GgsKzbxOB4c05yYbPJ19qVZI-fKg62YvieKtMU0Q=w2400.jpg

From there it went straight to the trails, Turns out all the seal surfaces on the front 60 would't hold oil, so after 1 trip I ended up going to 35 spline chromolly shafts with yukon lockouts in the front which solved the problem. From there out it just a matter of continually cutting the body until the 40's stopped rubbing.

VG-kMQwIC2RXfVhFtI1rfBS8XGdWGCiQkGhiry1YfRDk=w2400.jpg

Im in love

good show!

Looks great!!
Did you have a learning curve in driving that length wheel base offroad vs your old Jeep? Was the Jeep similarly built?

How far forward did you move the front axle?

...and I was just thinking the other day nobody does SAS's anymore..😁

It feels like a bus compared to my jeep, which was a 2000 XJ on 35's, twin lockers and a doubler. The biggest problem with the sport track is that front end visibility sucks, you can't see the first 15 feet in front of the truck, the turning radius is poor compared my last rig and the stock 4.0 power steering pump doesn't put out enough volume for quick steering. Oh yeah and the 4.0 is a dog. Other than that it works great. it goes 65 down the highway nice and quiet, drives straight, zero bump steer. It climbs very well compared to the Jeeps on the trail with the longer wheel base. I have climbed a few things so far that would have had my jeep on its lid. It is very high however so off camber can get sketchy. the front frame is pretty flat so It is lifted to the moon to give the front axle some up travel. I will likely LS swap it in the future and build my own frame from the firewall forward so the frame more resembles a solid front axle rig. just need to kill the 4.0 first.

good show!
Some of us have (in my case are planning to) hack the frame rails off at the firewall and graph in the frame from a earlier TTB Ranger/Explorer from their forward. I am doing this to a 02 sport trac because I will be running a dana 44 TTB and as you said the SLA IFS frame has no "pockets" for the beams/solid beam to up/bump travel

It looks so sick on 40's! my wife saw the picture and said "Is ours going to look like that? I would drive that all day long!" she loves big tires and lifted trucks and I am building us a sport trac to take over some duties from my BII and her FJ
I am planning 37's hahahaha 40's would be better in the deep snow and during our "mud season"

Thanks for info. I know nothing of the platform, rangers or explorers so this is new to me. I also have an issue with my front driveshaft being too short. My suspension has miles of droop but it limited due to the cv maxing out. I didn't want to invest anything in this weak drive train but is there a doubler out there that will bolt to the 5r55e? I could use more gearing and that would solve my drives haft issue

do not go that route
When the 4.0 /5r55e goes kablooey you should consider bolting in a 5.0
Its basically a bolt in conversion
The 5.0 (pushrod 302) from a 98-01 explorer comes with the 4r70w automatic which is about umpteen times stronger then your weak sauce 5r55e
The 4r70w has a 6 bolt tailhousing 30 spline output many many t cases can be used
This is a 1/2 ton 3/4 ton transmission, the 7 in 4r70w stands for 700 ft lbs rating from the factory
a good doubler behind that trans is BW 1356/56 or any combo of those cases
NP205, BW4406, BW1356 and many others Im not as familiar with

Here is a thread I did showing how to convert a 02 trac to a 5.0
2002 sport trac is basically the same truck as a 99-2011 Ranger

There are tons of v8 conversion threads, I have done several
This one just happens to be a 02 trac which is basically just like yours

do not go that route
When the 4.0 /5r55e goes kablooey you should consider bolting in a 5.0
Its basically a bolt in conversion
The 5.0 (pushrod 302) from a 98-01 explorer comes with the 4r70w automatic which is about umpteen times stronger then your weak sauce 5r55e
The 4r70w has a 6 bolt tailhousing 30 spline output many many t cases can be used
This is a 1/2 ton 3/4 ton transmission, the 7 in 4r70w stands for 700 ft lbs rating from the factory
a good doubler behind that trans is BW 1356/56 or any combo of those cases
NP205, BW4406, BW1356 and many others Im not as familiar with

Here is a thread I did showing how to convert a 02 trac to a 5.0
2002 sport trac is basically the same truck as a 99-2011 Ranger

There are tons of v8 conversion threads, I have done several
This one just happens to be a 02 trac which is basically just like yours
Thanks for the info. I read some of the stuff but finding a 5.0 explorer up here is tough and it seems like a ton of work for 225hp. Did it feel worth it to you? Half the guys I wheel with have ls swapped their jeeps and a 6.0 is cheap and easy to find and makes way more power.

nice nice nice!!!!! :D :D :D

Thanks for the info. I read some of the stuff but finding a 5.0 explorer up here is tough and it seems like a ton of work for 225hp. Did it feel worth it to you? Half the guys I wheel with have ls swapped their jeeps and a 6.0 is cheap and easy to find and makes way more power.
Swap the heads on the 5.0 and easily get into the 300 hp range.

Swap the heads on the 5.0 and easily get into the 300 hp range.
Not with the low range grunt I am looking for. This thing lives on the trail and the highway to the trail. My original plan is 6.0, 4l80 and either locally built harness and tablet dash or holley efi and their dash budget permitting. Others have done it so I know it will fit. I hate gm but my buddies rework a stock gm harness to 3 wire hookup and it is stupid cheap to pull off. I would rather have the same engine as everyone else for common spares. Up here in Canada where we wheel is remote.

Makes sense to me!
I can do 5.0 swap in a long weekend

Your transmission is the weakest link followed by the timing components in the 4.0 sohc engine
5.0 does not have those issues

Of course a Chevy v8 is nice getting it to fit in there you can handle if you can pull off a sas on a ifs rack and pinion rig then the 6.0 vortec is a good option

I always have 5.0 explorers around and I’m a ford purist no Chevy engines for me

The 5.0 bolts in it is not a lot of work as far as conversions go I mean it bolts in move a few wires the Holley and dash etc can work with the ford stuff too

Not with the low range grunt I am looking for. This thing lives on the trail and the highway to the trail. My original plan is 6.0, 4l80 and either locally built harness and tablet dash or holley efi and their dash budget permitting. Others have done it so I know it will fit. I hate gm but my buddies rework a stock gm harness to 3 wire hookup and it is stupid cheap to pull off. I would rather have the same engine as everyone else for common spares. Up here in Canada where we wheel is remote.
with some nice upgrades the 302 can make great power. also one could do a 347 stroker.

put a chevy in it
requires:
custom engine mounts
custom trans mount
Custom shifter
custom cooling system and plumbing
custom fuel system / line plumbing
custom dash /gauges
custom exhaust work
possible HVAC box / custom AC work

and more

5.0 based drivetrain 99.5% bolt in deal
But hey the truck is custom, we support you whatever you decide that is one BADA** TRAC!!!!!!!

I hear you, but the only reason I would do it is for a lot more off idle power. I need great low rpm throttle response and under 3k rpm torque, not sure if a 5.0 will be worth it in a 5500lb truck. You have done it, is the enough of a gain to be worth the trouble? My issue with the 5.0 swap is I may still may not be satisfied after doing all the work and expense which defeats the point. I was told a stock 5.0 explorer is actually slow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes in stock form the exhaust manifolds choke the power they can make
They also left the factory with full time AWD, 70% power to the rear 30% up front, this is where much of the power is lost
They are BEASTS however

The 302 is a GT40 full roller small block Ford with GT40 heads and intakes, the 302 was 1969-2001
They have a soccer mom camshaft, they were not built to be fast they were built TOUGH
It only takes a few modifications to unleash the power the 302 can make, it is a cobra mustang 5.0 underneath
Headers and a camshaft, some breathing mods, they respond very well too and then will leave your SOHC V6 and 5 speed in the dust

Mass air, coil pack ignition, OBD2 computer they have ALOT going for them
The 4r70w transmission is what most of us are after, the 5r55e you have now is a late version of the old C3 automatic found in pintos YUK whereas the 4r70w is based on the old AOD/AODE the same transmission used in F150 some F250 and expeditions, so in a truck like yours it is well suited (TOUGH AS YOUR 4l80) and opens up a whole new world of transfer case options

I have done MANY of these conversions and I do mean MANY
I did my BII back in 06, been daily driving it since, not one issue, runs like a top

Back