2020 Ford Explorer 3.3l V6 Limited Hybrid AWD intermitent drive line vibration. here is the note to gave to the techs each time i took my car in | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Ford Explorer 3.3l V6 Limited Hybrid AWD intermitent drive line vibration. here is the note to gave to the techs each time i took my car in

mlpalin

Reaction score
City, State
Lincoln university
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ford explorer limite
  • this issue is harmonic vibration.
  • There is a harmonic vibration around 40 miles an hr. and up to 60 miles an hr. when I first start driving the car after it has been sitting for about 8hrs give or take is when it is most noticeable when I first start driving the car and when driving on a smoothly paved roads it is more easily pronounced. you can tell were on the speedometer were the vibration starts and ends sometimes the harmonic vibration goes away completely around 40 miles per hour but as to get the speed of the car up to 60 miles per hour the harmonic vibration is consistent.
  • I bought my car to porter ford on December 28th, 2022, for this vibration issue to be resolved I instructed to tech who was working on my car to please drive it as that was the only way you’re going to present the problem the car must be under load. So, I do believe his name was Matt and he took it home for the weekend to test drive. It was new year’s weekend to be exact.
  • The following week after new year’s Porter reached out to me to inform me that my drive shaft needed to be replaced so I told them please go ahead and replace it. They also fixed some other issues.
  • After the drive shaft was installed and the other items on my car were fixed, I received a call on January 5th that my car was complete and ready for pickup. So, I went to porter ford to pick up my car that day.
  • After I picked up my car, I drove it home from porter ford. As I was driving home the harmonic vibration was still present, which is very frustrating as this issue was supposed to be fixed.
  • Throughout my text communication with Matt the Tech who worked on my car he acknowledged that there could be an issue with the drive shaft or axel shaft or transfer case. As he stated in text.
  • After driving my car for a while and dealing whit this harmonic vibration I took my car to an independent shop that I have used for years to see if they could figure out the problem. When I took it to the independent shop, they test drove the car and confirmed that there is an active harmonic vibration in the driveline of the vehicle.
  • After they determined that there was a vibration, and they then placed a hose clamp on my rear drive shaft and test drove my car multiple times adjusting the clamps till the vibration went almost away. The tech was able to get rid of the vibration from 50 miles per hour all the way up past 60 miles per hour when the driveline is warmed up. When you drive the car after it has been sitting awhile and then put it under load going up a hill you can faintly feel the vibration. He was able to reduce the vibration at 40 miles per hour.
  • He also inspected the entire drive line under my car and upon doing so he found oil weeping out of the transfer case at the seal where the front driveshaft comes out and goes to the front axle of my car. He informed me that when I bring it to porter ford to get the harmonic vibration fixed that the transfer case needs to be looked at as it might be part of the cause of my vibration as well as my new rear driveshaft being out of balance.
  • Fast forward I took my car back to porter ford and told them I still had the vibration and that I took it to and independent shop and they put hose clamps on my drive shaft and were able to instantly get rid of 90% of the vibration they said they don’t acknowledge the work of independent shops but said they would look at it.
  • I then got a call to come and pick up my car when I picked it up I then was told that there is nothing wrong with the car and have a nice day
  • I then took it back to the independent shop and told them to order a new driveshaft. They ordered it and installed it and the vibration improved.
  • Now the only time I felt the vibration was when the car had been sitting for a while and the vibration was most noticeable when you first drove it then after you drove it for a little the vibration went away and was completely smooth.
  • Fast forward a few months and I developed a right front cv axel boot leak where it was slinging grease everywhere I took it into the independent shop and had them replace all 4 cv axel shafts. Note I also was feeling a clunk in the car when bring the car to a stop like there was excessive slack in the drive line.
  • When I went to pick up the car the vibration was completely gone and so was the clunk when I would come to a stop and the car drove smoothly for about 3 weeks then I started having the issues with vibration and the clunk when stopping again but this time I still only had the vibration in the beginning when I first started driving the car after it has been sitting for a while then the vibration would go away but when your experiencing the vibration when you first start driving the car and I am driving down the road either a straight or road with turns the car will some times start swaying side to side or the rear of the car feels like it is fish tailing down the road when this happens the traction control system kicks in and starts rapidly applying and releasing the breaks and then it stops and goes away all this happens while my foot is on the throttle and I never take my foot off the throttle the entire time this is happening.
  • The other odd thing that happens now sometimes is I sometimes only feel the vibration in the beginning when I first start driving the car, but it seems to happen when I am getting to the end of a tank of gas and shortly after I fill up. Don’t know if the weight of the tank being almost empty and full after filling it up has anything to do with the problem or not.
  • The other issue is when I first come to a stop for the first time after the car has been sitting for a while. When I go to apply the breaks for the first time the clunk I feel when I am in the process of bring the car to a stop is a jerking feeling followed by a clunk this is always violent enough to through me forward towards the steering wheel.

• this issue is harmonic vibration.
  • There is a harmonic vibration around 40 miles an hr. and up to 60 miles an hr. when I first start driving the car after it has been sitting for about 8hrs give or take is when it is most noticeable when I first start driving the car and when driving on a smoothly paved roads it is more easily pronounced. you can tell were on the speedometer were the vibration starts and ends sometimes the harmonic vibration goes away completely around 40 miles per hour but as to get the speed of the car up to 60 miles per hour the harmonic vibration is consistent.
  • I bought my car to porter ford on December 28th, 2022, for this vibration issue to be resolved I instructed to tech who was working on my car to please drive it as that was the only way you’re going to present the problem the car must be under load. So, I do believe his name was Matt and he took it home for the weekend to test drive. It was new year’s weekend to be exact.
  • The following week after new year’s Porter reached out to me to inform me that my drive shaft needed to be replaced so I told them please go ahead and replace it. They also fixed some other issues.
  • After the drive shaft was installed and the other items on my car were fixed, I received a call on January 5th that my car was complete and ready for pickup. So, I went to porter ford to pick up my car that day.
  • After I picked up my car, I drove it home from porter ford. As I was driving home the harmonic vibration was still present, which is very frustrating as this issue was supposed to be fixed.
  • Throughout my text communication with Matt the Tech who worked on my car he acknowledged that there could be an issue with the drive shaft or axel shaft or transfer case. As he stated in text.
  • After driving my car for a while and dealing whit this harmonic vibration I took my car to an independent shop that I have used for years to see if they could figure out the problem. When I took it to the independent shop, they test drove the car and confirmed that there is an active harmonic vibration in the driveline of the vehicle.
  • After they determined that there was a vibration, and they then placed a hose clamp on my rear drive shaft and test drove my car multiple times adjusting the clamps till the vibration went almost away. The tech was able to get rid of the vibration from 50 miles per hour all the way up past 60 miles per hour when the driveline is warmed up. When you drive the car after it has been sitting awhile and then put it under load going up a hill you can faintly feel the vibration. He was able to reduce the vibration at 40 miles per hour.
  • He also inspected the entire drive line under my car and upon doing so he found oil weeping out of the transfer case at the seal where the front driveshaft comes out and goes to the front axle of my car. He informed me that when I bring it to porter ford to get the harmonic vibration fixed that the transfer case needs to be looked at as it might be part of the cause of my vibration as well as my new rear driveshaft being out of balance.
  • Fast forward I took my car back to porter ford and told them I still had the vibration and that I took it to and independent shop and they put hose clamps on my drive shaft and were able to instantly get rid of 90% of the vibration they said they don’t acknowledge the work of independent shops but said they would look at it.
  • I then got a call to come and pick up my car when I picked it up I then was told that there is nothing wrong with the car and have a nice day
  • I then took it back to the independent shop and told them to order a new driveshaft. They ordered it and installed it and the vibration improved.
  • Now the only time I felt the vibration was when the car had been sitting for a while and the vibration was most noticeable when you first drove it then after you drove it for a little the vibration went away and was completely smooth.
  • Fast forward a few months and I developed a right front cv axel boot leak where it was slinging grease everywhere I took it into the independent shop and had them replace all 4 cv axel shafts. Note I also was feeling a clunk in the car when bring the car to a stop like there was excessive slack in the drive line.
  • When I went to pick up the car the vibration was completely gone and so was the clunk when I would come to a stop and the car drove smoothly for about 3 weeks then I started having the issues with vibration and the clunk when stopping again but this time I still only had the vibration in the beginning when I first started driving the car after it has been sitting for a while then the vibration would go away but when your experiencing the vibration when you first start driving the car and I am driving down the road either a straight or road with turns the car will some times start swaying side to side or the rear of the car feels like it is fish tailing down the road when this happens the traction control system kicks in and starts rapidly applying and releasing the breaks and then it stops and goes away all this happens while my foot is on the throttle and I never take my foot off the throttle the entire time this is happening.
  • The other odd thing that happens now sometimes is I sometimes only feel the vibration in the beginning when I first start driving the car, but it seems to happen when I am getting to the end of a tank of gas and shortly after I fill up. Don’t know if the weight of the tank being almost empty and full after filling it up has anything to do with the problem or not.
  • The other issue is when I first come to a stop for the first time after the car has been sitting for a while. When I go to apply the breaks for the first time the clunk I feel when I am in the process of bring the car to a stop is a jerking feeling followed by a clunk this is always violent enough to through me forward towards the steering wheel.
🤔

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Back