• Register Today It's free!

denperss

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Limite
Hey everyone,
i have an issue with a 2013 explorer limited.

When i drive and turn while braking the ESP goes on and activates. (No ABS lights) but the car start to brake.

Ive changed both abs sensor in the front but it keeps doing it :(
- I have checked all 4 wheel sensors having the same speed while driving.

I've also change the bakes and brake rotors.

I dont get any fault codes in dtc.

Any suggestions ? :) :)

Mery Christmas. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a 2014 workshop manual linked below in my sig, and in the section "SECTION 206-09:
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) and Stability Control" it lists some DTC trouble codes that a scan tool capable of Ford-specific codes might pick up, and a section about pinpoint troubleshooting this system. You mentioned you don't get any fault codes but was the scan tool capable of the Ford-specific codes? A scan tool only capable of OBD2, won't read these.

When ESP activates, does it only happen when at a low speed? If so then I might want to monitor whether any ABS sensors have the signal drop out at low speeds while turning, in case the reluctor ring is contaminated and providing too week a signal at low speeds, and check whether any tires are significantly different in inflation pressure or a different amount of wear or make/model/size of tire.

I assume you have owned the vehicle for a while and this is a change in the situations under which the ESP activates? If the vehicle is new to you, and you are taking sharper turns fast enough, it could be normal for it to activate.

I've noticed that in the 2 previous posts, mention is made to both ESP and ABS. I'm not familiar with ESP in regards to the braking system, only as an Extended Warranty Program. :dunno:

Peter

^ Some people call the ESC (electronic stability control), ESP (electronic stability program) instead, so I just used the same abbreviation as the o.p.

It only happens when I'm below 40mph ..
Also down at 5-10 mph turning between 12 and 1 o'clock ish.

I'm using forscan to read codes.

I dosent happened at 60mph at sharp turns.

It can also happen if im driving straight.

It happens spontaneous, and not because I turn hard on the steering wheel.

I do not get any dtc codes at all.
I've checked tire size, pressure and everything there is fine.

Could it be cecause of the tone ring maby ?

The tone ring aka reluctor causes the abs sensor pulses to sense speed, so yes it is part of the systesm so could be a problem but if you don't see a difference in real-time speed on a wheel, using forscan when it happens, then it would seem not to be the problem.

I'd see if forscan can read yaw and steering angle, after which I'm out of ideas.

Okay, yes I'm just guessing right now because I tried the things that I believed it could be.
I tried to see live data for the angel sensor, and it gives me data when driving and turning the wheel.

So my last two guess was the tone ring or abs pump. I had an escape that did the same thing and I just changed the wheel speed sensor and everything was fine. But not in this case.

20221220_113815.jpg

@J_C Update,

So I have changed the wheel hub in both sides, wheel sensor, bakes and rotors.

New brakes fluid, and bleed.
I still don't get any dtc codes.

But I still have the same issue.

Any suggestions? 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

^ I would get the 2014 workshop manual linked in my sig below and follow the diagnostic steps in it.

^ I would get the 2014 workshop manual linked in my sig below and follow the diagnostic steps in it.
I've tried that but I don't seem to find the issue.

I'm out of ideas, other than that the picture you showed, with all wheel speeds the same and no STRCOL_MOVE (steering column movement?), should have all the angles near zero, leading me to wonder if you have a bad steering sensor or a wheel alignment issue.

So it ended up with just being the clock sensor and not the angle sensor. 🙃

So it ended up with just being the clock sensor and not the angle sensor. 🙃
Hey man I'm having the same issues, were you having any other issues related to the clock spring.

Hey man I'm having the same issues, were you having any other issues related to the clock spring.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't know if the member you quoted is still following the thread. He was last seen here on October 30, 2023.

Peter

Back