Brand new 17 Explorer shakes so bad makes us sick, | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brand new 17 Explorer shakes so bad makes us sick,

17sportny

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer sport
Hi all. Just traded in our wonderful 2014 fx4 f150 for a new 2017 Ford explorer sport. We test drove one brand new at one dealership and it drove wonderfully. Smooth, nimble and quick.

We purchased the same exact vehicle down to the msrp at a different dealer.

We picked up the explorer with 12 miles on it. Beautiful suv.

Drove it home in traffic and as soon as we were able to hit 45 mph or so it started shaking. The center console was shaking. I thought it was the road. I went to a different lane. Same thing.

(Horrible smell as well, some type of protection sprayed on burning off?)

Now I didn't say anything,. My wife was in the back seat behind me and she said, why is this thing vibrating so much. I am getting sick.

Traffic cleared a little more and it's worse around 55/60 mph.

It feels like a wheel is falling off. I pulled over. Checked the tie rods, wheel lugs, wheels weights are on there. seemed normal.

Explorer now has 30 miles on it at this point and we want to return it. We should have turned around and went back to the dealer.

What a piece of junk. $50,810 for something that feels like a 1987 bronco with 400k miles on it.

Dealer said, oh we will bring it in and see what's wrong. Not on a brand new car. Either give me a vehicle that is perfect from the start or give me my money and FX4 back.

I brought it to a friend on the way home who has the 14 sport and I had him drive it. He came back and said it feels like the truck was hit before.

We both had motion sickness to the point we pulled over about 5 times on a 35 mile trip.

Best way to describe it is the steering wheel shimmies slightly, but it feels like the front on the truck is going in 2 different directions and is causing a vibration/shaking that literally was making us sick and making our ears feel odd. You feel it more in the drivers side, but it feels like it is coming from the front passenger side.

The Kia we test drive feels like a Mercedes compared to this thing and that is not hyperbole.

So should we let the dealer try and fix this or demand a different vehicle being that we haven't even had it 24 hours yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, can't believe the overreacting all throughout your post. How about letting the dealership look at it before you start flipping out on what could be a very easy and quick fix (alignment off? tires out of balance?)

And as an fyi, your $50k explorer is no different then a $32k explorer but with bells and whistles.

:dunno:

Wow, can't believe the overreacting all throughout your post. How about letting the dealership look at it before you start flipping out on what could be a very easy and quick fix (alignment off? tires out of balance?)

Really? They drove the truck from one dealership to another. They would have noticed it. Overreacting? This isn't a used vehicle. This is a brand new vehicle that feels broken and the smell is toxic. I hope everyone on here is as helpful and douchey as you are.

You want the vin # and a copy of the the lease agreement? I just saw 26 complaints on car complaints.com for the smell and found a thread of a ton of people on here complaining about a wobble or tremor. Seems to be a problem with some of the vehicles. Brand new vehicles should not need road side assistance to come and bring the truck back to the dealer as suggested...

And as an fyi, your $50k explorer is no different then a $32k explorer but with bells and whistles.

How are you are moderator on here? There is a huge difference between a 3.5 ecoboost awd and a base model. Seriously?

Hi all. Just traded in our wonderful 2014 fx4 f150 for a new 2017 Ford explorer sport. We test drove one brand new at one dealership and it drove wonderfully. Smooth, nimble and quick.

We purchased the same exact vehicle down to the msrp at a different dealer.

We picked up the explorer with 12 miles on it. Beautiful suv.

Drove it home in traffic and as soon as we were able to hit 45 mph or so it started shaking. The center console was shaking. I thought it was the road. I went to a different lane. Same thing.

(Horrible smell as well, some type of protection sprayed on burning off?)

Now I didn't say anything,. My wife was in the back seat behind me and she said, why is this thing vibrating so much. I am getting sick.

Traffic cleared a little more and it's worse around 55/60 mph.

It feels like a wheel is falling off. I pulled over. Checked the tie rods, wheel lugs, wheels weights are on there. seemed normal.

Explorer now has 30 miles on it at this point and we want to return it. We should have turned around and went back to the dealer.

What a piece of junk. $50,810 for something that feels like a 1987 bronco with 400k miles on it.

Dealer said, oh we will bring it in and see what's wrong. Not on a brand new car. Either give me a vehicle that is perfect from the start or give me my money and FX4 back.

I brought it to a friend on the way home who has the 14 sport and I had him drive it. He came back and said it feels like the truck was hit before.

We both had motion sickness to the point we pulled over about 5 times on a 35 mile trip.

Best way to describe it is the steering wheel shimmies slightly, but it feels like the front on the truck is going in 2 different directions and is causing a vibration/shaking that literally was making us sick and making our ears feel odd. You feel it more in the drivers side, but it feels like it is coming from the front passenger side.

The Kia we test drive feels like a Mercedes compared to this thing and that is not hyperbole.

So should we let the dealer try and fix this or demand a different vehicle being that we haven't even had it 24 hours yet?

I think the other posts about a shimmy are just that, a shimmy. The way you describe it sounds like it’s much more than just a shimmy. Did you not test drive this one before you signed the lease agreement? I would think you'd notice that on your test drive.

As for the smell, there are oils and coatings that will burn off a new vehicle, or even possibly a sticker that may be on the exhaust. I know mine did for the first 500 miles or so, but it went away. When do you have the smell? Normal driving, stopped, hard acceleration?

Bring it to the dealer to have them remedy the issue.

How are you are moderator on here? There is a huge difference between a 3.5 ecoboost awd and a base model. Seriously?

Just because I am a moderator on here does not mean I can not express my opinion.

1)The fact that you joined a forum to complain about an issue as your first post before even letting your dealer look at it.

2)The fact that you post your price of the vehicle as if that makes any difference. So you should be treated more special because you are driving a $50k optioned up vehicle over a $32k base? price means nothing.

3) calling your 59k vehicle a piece of junk prior to even bringing it out the dealer, prior to even finding out what is wrong.

4) they will look at it, "no way"

5) The Kia we test drove drives like a mercedes...

6) and yes a Sport is an optioned up base model.

As I said, completely overreacting.

And I will let you know that name calling "douchey" will not be tolerated on the forum to me or anyone else. One can voice their opinion without name calling.

You want the vin # and a copy of the the lease agreement? I just saw 26 complaints on car complaints.com for the smell and found a thread of a ton of people on here complaining about a wobble or tremor. Seems to be a problem with some of the vehicles. Brand new vehicles should not need road side assistance to come and bring the truck back to the dealer as suggested...

Since it's a leased vehicle I would demand that they change it out for another one if it's not a simple fix or because something is switched on or off. In the meantime they can repair it and lease it to someone else after it's fixed. When you buy anything new that you've paid a substantial price for, you have a right to expect high quality from from the first mile you drive it.

If you have the lane keeping system on your vehicle, try turning it off. In city traffic this thing will drive you nuts above 40 mph or so as it vibrates the steering wheel and constantly attempts to re-center you into a lane as you are crossing over the lane markers. You can easily turn this feature on or off by pressing the end of the turn signal stalk.
After looking at the specs for the different trim levels though, it appears the lane keeping system isn't available on the Sport.

Welcome to the Forum 17sportny.:wave:
The first thing I would personally suspect with a vibration like that is a bad wheel balance. It could also be a bad tire. The best thing to do is to have the dealer check it out right away. As for the "bad smell", it could be something burning off although I've never experienced that with my current MKT nor my 2011 Explorer Ltd. There is a long thread about exhaust smell but hopefully that isn't it. I'm picking up my new Platinum on Monday and I'll see if it has any of those issues.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...st-smell-in-cabin-during-acceleration.323597/
I believe the Lane Keeping Feature can cause the steering wheel to vibrate but I doubt that the vibration would be transmitted throughout the vehicle. Have the dealer check it out and good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum 17sportny.:wave:
The first thing I would personally suspect with a vibration like that is a bad wheel balance. It could also be a bad tire. The best thing to do is to have the dealer check it out right away. As for the "bad smell", it could be something burning off although I've never experienced that with my current MKT nor my 2011 Explorer Ltd. There is a long thread about exhaust smell but hopefully that isn't it. I'm picking up my new Platinum on Monday and I'll see if it has any of those issues.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...st-smell-in-cabin-during-acceleration.323597/
I believe the Lane Keeping Feature can cause the steering wheel to vibrate but I doubt that the vibration would be transmitted throughout the vehicle. Have the dealer check it out and good luck.

Peter

Congrats on the purchase and how come I'm only reading this now???

Serious vibration and shaking on brand new cars is very common here in Dubai; its caused by flat spots of the tires. If the flat spots are really bad, you would not even be able to go faster than 40mph, so bad the car will shake. Some say that flat spots will disappear after a while driving, but that never happened with me. Changing the tires is the only option.

could be shipping blocks often used in shipment on many makes, maybe on the Explorer too?
The land keep assist in high will shake like a jackhammer (ok maybe not THAT bad, but it's serious in high)
Tire pressures could be overly high from shipment as well.

Let the dealer look at this but not driving before, not wise.

Hi all.

I appreciate the responses. The reason why I posted here for the first time is that I just car the car yesterday at 5pm and wanted to post my issue in case someone experienced this or may know what I can do to get a different vehicle.

The dealer had me call roadside assistance to bring it back to them to look at. I figured the dealership would have had a loaner ready or setup a rental car. Nope. So I need to sit here for 2 hours now waiting on the tow truck then go rent a car so I can go to work half the day.

After reading more and more last night I see this 'wobble' or 'tremor' issue is never really fixed when it happens.

I know it's not all explorers because the sport we test drove to 70mph was smooth.

I will check the lane departure thing when I get it back.

Seems like I will need an attorney to get another vehicle, so I am stuck for now hoping it is a bad tire or balance. The weights are still on the rims and there is no visible marks of wheel tape or weights missing, so I am not holding my breathe there.

Maybe I expect too much from Ford. My 4 mustangs and 2 F150's never needed warranty work. Couple of recalls for air bags...

I will let everyone know the outcome so if this happens to you there is a resource.

I think the other posts about a shimmy are just that, a shimmy. The way you describe it sounds like it’s much more than just a shimmy. Did you not test drive this one before you signed the lease agreement? I would think you'd notice that on your test drive.

As for the smell, there are oils and coatings that will burn off a new vehicle, or even possibly a sticker that may be on the exhaust. I know mine did for the first 500 miles or so, but it went away. When do you have the smell? Normal driving, stopped, hard acceleration?

Bring it to the dealer to have them remedy the issue.

Big dopes we are. We didn't test drive it. It had 12 miles on it so we just blindly signed.

We are guessing the smell was some type of coating. We just shut off the climate system and opened the windows.

More annoying is the fact I misunderstood Ford. I thought they were sending a tow truck but they wanted me to call road side assistance. So I wasted all morning and they at least called and asked where the explorer was.

^^^ Lane departure is not an option on the Sport; other than adaptive cruise control.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're doing the right thing by letting the dealer try and fix it. The "wobble" was present on both of our 13' Limiteds but not our 16's. it was noticeable from 0-10mph then disappeared. My 16' Sport is smooth from 0-100. Good luck.

Back