Explorer 94 on 37, help! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 94 on 37, help!

Ttb is better for driving trails period lol

Solid axle is better for “crawling” that is for sure
The ttb has some disadvantages like awkward steering angles and the beams are not equal length, but it is a form of ifs and ifs handles the bumps and dips way better then a solid axle.
Long love the ttb!
One extra u joint!
Theres nothing better to go over the bumps without slowing down your speed, and ttb is meant for that

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I prefer a well built solid front axle suspension for a do everything well, but crawl very well rig. My current front suspension works better than the two or three versions of my TTB modifications ever did, even on fast dirt roads. Also don't spend a lot of time teetering on two wheels with a solid axle, like with the TTB. I did a lot of hard trails with the Explorer before I SAS'd it, but its a lot easier now. It takes major modifications to make any suspension work well off road. It depends upon what your doing with it.

I prefer a well built solid front axle suspension for a do everything well, but crawl very well rig. My current front suspension works better than the two or three versions of my TTB modifications ever did, even on fast dirt roads. Also don't spend a lot of time teetering on two wheels with a solid axle, like with the TTB. I did a lot of hard trails with the Explorer before I SAS'd it, but its a lot easier now. It takes major modifications to make any suspension work well off road. It depends upon what your doing with it.
How is your front axle setup?

Long version

Short version
Narrowed high pinyon D44 out of a 1976 F150, 14" Radflo coilovers with Eibach springs, James Duff radius arms
20220921_162907 (Medium).jpg

20220921_163104 (Medium).jpg

20220921_163545.jpg

Long version

Short version
Narrowed high pinyon D44 out of a 1976 F150, 14" Radflo coilovers with Eibach springs, James Duff radius arms
View attachment 441647

View attachment 441648

View attachment 441649
Ufffffff nicee rig!!!! Are those 35s???

I said period lol lol lol

I spent a solid decade wheeling with mostly Ford guys with all types of modified suspensions before I went SAS. I had three different lifts before I did a SAS. I did a lot of research, asked a lot of questions and watched what worked. TTB is a good suspension, I would say it's the strongest independent suspension. Its good for all around off/on road. It's really good when modified for high speed desert travel. It's also unstable when modified for high speed desert travel, unless you have custom beams, arms, etc. I built my Explorer (It's still a work in progress, like any trail rig) to do the slow stuff very well, but also cruise down the freeway at 65. Radius arm based solid axle suspensions are very stable, and very flexy. And, it doesn't do that rock back and forth on two wheels waiting to roll thing anymore. My Explorer is smoother now on the highway than it was stock. I'm still working out some issues where the rear does some funky rebounds at higher speeds on dirt roads, but I'm fairly certain it's the rear shocks. Radflo rear shocks to match the fronts should fix that. Then air bumps, move the Daystar stingers to the rear, maybe new front seats, maybe a engine swap......it never ends.

In a perfect world, we would all have two trail rigs. One for fast, one for crawling. I always wanted a go very fast race or prerunner type Explorer, but I can't justify it, yet. I am looking at dune buggies and baja bugs. If one comes up that needs work and is a good price, I'll probably buy it, but after my house with the shop is built. No more room at the current place.

I spent a solid decade wheeling with mostly Ford guys with all types of modified suspensions before I went SAS. I had three different lifts before I did a SAS. I did a lot of research, asked a lot of questions and watched what worked. TTB is a good suspension, I would say it's the strongest independent suspension. Its good for all around off/on road. It's really good when modified for high speed desert travel. It's also unstable when modified for high speed desert travel, unless you have custom beams, arms, etc. I built my Explorer (It's still a work in progress, like any trail rig) to do the slow stuff very well, but also cruise down the freeway at 65. Radius arm based solid axle suspensions are very stable, and very flexy. And, it doesn't do that rock back and forth on two wheels waiting to roll thing anymore. My Explorer is smoother now on the highway than it was stock. I'm still working out some issues where the rear does some funky rebounds at higher speeds on dirt roads, but I'm fairly certain it's the rear shocks. Radflo rear shocks to match the fronts should fix that. Then air bumps, move the Daystar stingers to the rear, maybe new front seats, maybe a engine swap......it never

In a perfect world, we would all have two trail rigs. One for fast, one for crawling. I always wanted a go very fast race or prerunner type Explorer, but I can't justify it, yet. I am looking at dune buggies and baja bugs. If one comes up that needs work and is a good price, I'll probably buy it, but after my house with the shop is built. No more room at the current place.
Once you move, you are emissions free. Seems like a V8 would turn those 35s easier.

Once you move, you are emissions free. Seems like a V8 would turn those 35s easier.
I know I will be creating some hate and discontent, but I am a huge fan of the GM L32 SIII supercharged V6, or one of the LY7 variants. From what I understand, they will bolt up to my GM700R4 transmission with the 60-degree bellhousing. Smaller engine, less weight, lots of HP and torque, and tons of aftermarket support. One of my Arizona buddies is a full-time car builder/whatever is needed at the ranch guy for a rich dude. He has four of the L32's he pulled out of wrecks over the years. Said he has had them for a long time, and I can have one for free.

You are gonna need some sort of go faster buggy out there ;)

It never ends that is for sure, some of us are just getting started!

Of all the rigs back here (27 trucks on the property right now) the van the plow truck and the bronco handle “the road” the best and then continue on to town in style
The van is rwd w ttb beams
The plow truck is f250 w Dana 50 ttb
The bronco is modified d35 ttb

Sure the solid axle rigs do just fine, especially my 97 f350 with its shackle reversal and superduty leafs (leafs and flat almost no arch) it rides nice and smooth on and off road…

The big lifted trucks like our excursion and my stepsons f350 are a little more “bouncy” and require much slower speeds, due to their arched leaf spring suspension lifts.

The ifs rigs like sport tracs, rangers and explorers do well back here also but they are constantly eating ball joints sway bar bushings… don’t even consider any sort of uniball or heim joint back here the pnw is just brutal on these items.. this silt and mudd tons of moisture, no way a speherocal bearing with no boot will last more then a season or two

It is a balancing act!

We do our road each and every time we come and go from the house usually twice sometimes six times a day… so being able to carry a little speed through the bumps can really make it more enjoyable

I fix up trucks
But I am also fixing up a road lol lol lol

Someone’s when the road is too much ice or mudd or just spring break up only atv/utv will get through… just picked up a pair of 91 Diahatsu Rocky to turn into our new Utvs fixing up polaris utv gets too expensive (toys not designed to do work)

I have change my mind, ill do some triming and go with boggers 38.5, ill be posting pictures without cuting anything

I don't think you will even be able to mount 38.5'a on the rear. The front of the fender contacted my 35" BFG KM2's. I had to push the edge of the fender forward.

They will also hit the rear bottom edge of the front fenders. I had to trim my front fenders with a 4" lift and 33's.

I also think you'll be sorry when you start breaking drive train parts on a regular basis.

I have change my mind, ill do some triming and go with boggers 38.5, ill be posting pictures without cuting anything
How much total lift is the new plan?

I Will move back and inch the rear axle. This picture was without triming the front fender

Screenshot_20230818_150135_WhatsApp.jpg

If your off-roading is only on flat smooth trails, you won’t rub.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your off-roading is only on flat smooth trails, you won’t rub.
If you don't turn it won't rub, maybe stay away from speed bumps.

What's the reason for so large of a tire? You are creating a lot of issues to workout, and some real expensive potential issues.

Back