Has my transmission gone out? It shifts and drives, but wont pull itself up any sort of an incline. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has my transmission gone out? It shifts and drives, but wont pull itself up any sort of an incline.

Zinith

Reaction score
City, State
Ravenswood, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
93Expl.XLT 4l v6 2wd auto
So I was headed out to my grandparents in my 93 explorer. And as I was just coming out of this turn i put my foot down on the gas and all of the sudden i felt it just give up and loose power. Like the engine wouldn't even rev up. I was up in over drive and I shifted it down to just normal drive and it shifted down just fine. But when I pressed down on the gas this time it would make a slight sound like it was trying to do something. But it couldn't.
I did this again for 2 and 1, same thing. And then i stopped on the side of the road. As it was sitting at idle the engine sounded like it was putting. I looked under my explorer to see that like all of the exhaust was smoking. And I could hear something that sounded like water running. But it was sorta like the sound of hot crinkling/flaking metal.

I let it sit for a while to cool down. And then I started it up again. I put it in drive (it shifted) and drove for me. I put it in reverse to back up and turn around on the gravel road I had pulled on. (and it shifted just fine) and drove for me. When i was trying to get up to speed to get it the rest of the way up to my grandparents house. I heard it making this whirring sound almost. and it was having a hard time trying to do anything. So i finally pulled off the road again and called my grandpa to come down and take a look at it.

He ended up driving it up to his house. As he was going down the road, it would pick up and go pretty well. It was shifting fine (for what i could hear). But the instant it started going up his gravel road up that hill. It just wouldn't pull at all. It eventually made its way up the hill. But it was complaining the entire time. Its like it just couldn't.

I've been looking around on the forums to see if I could find an answer to whats wrong. But I guess my situation is just so uniqe (or I just wasn't looking hard enough, which is totally possible).

I would really appreciate any help I could get with this problem. And how to fix it. I really do love my explorer. I just wish it was 4wd. (having it be a rare rear wheel drive makes it nearly impossible to find stuff for it.) The closest junk yard that has a A4ld transmission for a 2wd wants $1,000 for it.

Back