Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC

PCM flash

Hello Guys,

How to make sure the version currently in use. ? Will dealership will verify its new or old version.? I flashed the PCM with jumper cable but after few days it starts again. I got ECC code 765 about changing shift solenoids. But I am note sure will it gonna work or not? As I bought it from someone he showed me receipt of transmission overhaul in Jan 2014.

Any guidance.

Regards
:exporange

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this still the latest upgrade for 02-05? Looking to have it done to my 04

Went to the dealership today with this number,
PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB,

Service manager said said won't do him any good. Said he need a bulletin number. ?? Now what?

Anybody did their Ex. V8 in NYC or near here? I have a 2004 4.6, Can anybody tell me which dealership they went to and what pcm Upgrade they use on the 4.6 V8?

Went to the dealership today with this number,
PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB,

Service manager said said won't do him any good. Said he need a bulletin number. ?? Now what?

Go back with your Glock and start Bulletin :D

I hate Dealerships....

I wonder if mine has the latest update. I had the truck to the dealership 3 times in the past month.

It's going back next Monday for a tire pressure sensor...I'll ask them to check.

Cool, ask about the 4.6.

Is this still the latest upgrade for 02-05? Looking to have it done to my 04

I was wondering the same thing since mine is an '05. Suppose we can contact the stealership and try to find out thru them.

As far as determining which version we already have, I did a search but didnt find the answer in the results.

If someone can post a link, that would be very helpful.

stock pcm

If you haven't flashed the stock PCM, your version is on the sticker on the passenger door. My vehicle has PZC1 and it is listed as one of the stable proven versions.

I had mine done a few months ago. 2005 XLT 4.0.

I have noticed very little, if any improvement in up shifting.

Just got this done on my '02 XLS built in June of '02 (headed to pick it up from dealership in Ann Arbor now). $110. I'll post if they give me the part number, but from the "quickguides" under "free resources" at www.motorcraftservice.com it looks like it will have "2U7A" in the part number--rather than 1U7A . . . .

Okay: Here's the part number installed as provided by the tech (the service manager could not tell me what prior version they updated from): 2U7A-12A650-EGC

Runs fine; but, honestly, it ran fine before. Seems to idle slightly smoother--but that might be b/c the idle air control has not re-programmed itself yet, and is using a slightly higher default idle.

As noted previously, I'm aware of no publicly-available info on the changes made vis-a-vis 1U7A-12A650-x...

'04 Explorer

My '04 runs smooth as silk, I have no issue with anything about it's performance, other than the pesky converter lock-up clutch which is now being investigated, 100K on the truck.

If no/few operational issues as mentioned in the thread calling for re-flashing PCM are present, would it not be a good idea to skip the flash? imp

Hi,

I'm having the same pesky converter lock-up clutch issue as well. What were the results of the investigation?

Hi,

I'm having the same pesky converter lock-up clutch issue as well. What were the results of the investigation?
Well, I was quoting the other guy, suggesting not to get the PCM upgrade, maybe. Anyhow, I had TCC non-function on my '04, code said solenoid electrical fail, replaced solenoid module, fixed it.

As I've pointed out numerous times here, I disagree with Ford's scheme of programming that unlocks the converter clutch every time the gas pedal is released. If a driver happens to be one of those constantly on and off the pedal, that solenoid goes nuts, as does the clutch itself. I would leave the clutch engaged above, say, 50 mph, throttle or no, disengage it if car is decelerating, when it gets down to say 45, maybe even 40. if yer coasting downhill, for example, off the throttle, there is no need to unlock the TCC, really; the car engine-brakes in O/D gear anyway. If you are driving a manual transmission, the engine remains hooked to the driveline at all times in gear, until the clutch is engaged.

Manual electrical control, with a cab-mounted switch, has been used by some to bypass the PCM's unlocking the TCC. Trouble is, the CEL will be forever on.........

:thumbsup: PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB is the latest PCM upgrade for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC

It supersedes all previous ones, including B2A. It solves a bunch of issues, one of which is idle and surge when no MIL or codes are present

I have my upgrade done on 11-12-2008 and am very happy with it. The truck running very nicely and has lost its shaky ways at park and idling or stopped and in drive.

SETHMORGAN also upgraded to this version with the following results.
I just had it done and I can say ditto everything you just wrote. This is after driving it the 1 mile back from the dealership. I recommend anyone having the rough idle issue get this upgrade. Thanks for giving me the idea. Finally something I tried actually made a difference. I felt like I was tossing a $100 bill out the window every time I attempted another shot at fixing this.

Original Thread
How do you get this done?

How do you get this done?

I just had this done to my 02 4.0 XLT yesterday. (10/07/20)
You need to call your local dealer and ask about a pcm flash/upgrade. Mine charged me an hour of labor to get it done. Came out to be $102 all said and done. I also had them check for oil leaks and what not since i was getting the oil burning smell when sitting at stop light and sometimes idling . Come to find out my valve covers need done and crank case pully gasket needs done.

Hope this helps!

I just had this done to my 02 4.0 XLT yesterday. (10/07/20)
You need to call your local dealer and ask about a pcm flash/upgrade. Mine charged me an hour of labor to get it done. Came out to be $102 all said and done. I also had them check for oil leaks and what not since i was getting the oil burning smell when sitting at stop light and sometimes idling . Come to find out my valve covers need done and crank case pully gasket needs done.

Hope this helps!
Crank case pully gasket??

Front main seal ....crankshaft seal

Yup crankshaft seal. My bad. I looked over the paper quick and got words mixed up in my head while typing the post out .
Got it. Main seal is on the rear of the engine/crankshaft. I'd wait until you need to replace the right/rear timing chain/cassette to replace that seal. Just do the valve cover gaskets for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got it. Main seal is on the rear of the engine/crankshaft. I'd wait until you need to replace the right/rear timing chain/cassette to replace that seal. Just do the valve cover gaskets for now.
Question for you. For me as someone that is just getting into learning and repairing vehicles. How hard do you think valve covers on my explorer would be for a newby? I am comfortable do like breaks/starters and stuff like that but not 100% if i want to takle somthing like this by my self so early. I read around people say there a pain and they just took them to the shop to have them done . Some said it was not to bad. An input would be appreciated

Back